[4] Denial & Doubt

Luke only realised what he was saying after the words had already left his mouth.

"No!" He frantically attempted to correct himself, "I meant I don't like him! I absolutely, completely, definitely do not like him!"

Ashton giggled. "Woah mate, calm down. Of course you don't like him, I mean you totally didn't just say that you did."

Luke groaned in frustration, running his fingers through his hair repeatedly and then nervously tugging at the ends. "I don't like him," he whispered, "I don't like him."

"So you're in denial," Ashton deliberated.

"No I'm not in denial."

"So you invited me over here just to tell me that you don't like him?"

"Yes." Luke stated. "I'm mean no. I mean I don't know. Ugh."

Ashton threw his empty chocolate bar wrapper in the bin beside Luke's bed. "That's what love does to you," he grinned, but after noticing Luke's annoyed expression he coughed awkwardly and continued. "How about you tell me about this boy."

"How will that help?" The blond muttered, but Ashton's silence answered the question for him. "Fine. His name's Calum, 19, dark hair, tanned skin, cute smil-"

He just managed to stop himself from completely saying that Calum had a cute smile, which he certainly did, but that wasn't the point. Ashton caught on though, choosing not to react nor mention it but instead nod understandingly.

"Oh, and I forgot to mention that he's a billionaire."

"You mean...?"

"Yeah, Ashton, I mean he's super duper rich so acts like he's better than everyone else which he kinda is but that doesn't mean he has to act like it just because he was lucky he was born into that family with loads of money and a huge mansion and a dozen sports cars-"

"Luke!" Ashton interrupted, diving at the blond and grabbing at his face with his hand, squeezing his cheeks until Luke had stopped talking. "Slow. Down. I didn't understand any of that."

"Ok right, sorry, well basically he's really rich."

"And what do you think about that?" Ashton asked him, "do you like the fact that he's rich? He could really help, you know, I mean with you and your mum. If you like him and he likes you then he'll have no problem with giving you some money, right?"

"I don't want him for his money. Hell, I don't even want him. When I was with him, it felt strange, like it wasn't the real him. He seemed so superficial, like having all this money has changed him in some way. You should have seen his house, Ashton, you would never believe that a teenager lived there. I don't want the same thing to happen to me, I'd rather be struggling for money but a good person than have all the money in the world and be a bad one."

Ashton frowned, thinking carefully about what to say, before getting the perfect comeback. "Well how do you know he's a bad person?"

"I guess I don't," Luke stated, furrowing his eyebrows and sighing.

Ashton helped Luke up off of the floor and apologised for diving at him before. Once they were both standing side by side, he patted the blond's back reassuringly. "Then the least you can do is give him the chance to prove himself."

That was when Ashton explained he had to rush home to help his sister with something, leaving Luke in a state of shock and doubt. The thing about what his friend had just told him was that it was completely true. He didn't know that Calum was a bad person, he hadn't stuck around long enough to actually find out. And if Luke had learnt anything in his teenage years, it was that you never judge someone on a first impression.

Calum was selfish, that was obvious, but when you've always had anything you want, why would you ever expect less? The answer is, you wouldn't. The reason he wasn't grateful for all the luxury, expensive items he was lucky enough to own because that was his reality. It was normal for him to be spoilt rotten.

Calum lived a very different life to Luke, that was for sure.

But would that mean they couldn't be friends?

That was what constantly bugged him, were they too different to get along? The thing was, he wanted them to get along. Ashton was right, he was in denial. Because he wanted nothing more than to stay away from Calum, who he knew undoubtedly would mess so much of his life up and twist it in unimaginable ways, yet he also wanted to be around him all of the time.

Luke didn't have a clue why he suddenly felt like this, except that he couldn't get Calum out of his head.

5 days until he would see him next.

And counting.

~~~~~~~

A/n: this sucks

Basically Luke's feelings are everywhere at the moment (like my writing) so it's kinda confusing idk

If you're reading this then I don't know why but you're awesome :) xx