[21] Home Sweet Home

Unfortunately for Calum and Luke, the week went by very quickly. They spent most of the days on the beach and the nights in their room, curled up together with movies and ice cream.

Over the seven days, they had explored every inch of the island and had more fun than Luke reckoned he had in his entire life. He knew it was coming, when they would have to pack up all of their belongings and with it the amazing memories they had shared, but they still both hated the idea of leaving.

"Nothing will change when we get back home, will it?" Luke asked, sitting down on the bed, his eyes fixed on his tattered converse.

"What do you mean, love?"

"I mean, are we still going to be the same? Still kiss and cuddle and talk nonsense about random things, not caring if anyone overhears? Be us, I guess, I don't want to lose everything we have."

Calum smiled reassuringly and sat down beside him, "of course we'll be the same. I'm going to look after you from now on and I don't care what anyone thinks."

-

When they returned home, the airport was packed. Their flight had been delayed as it was too busy to land safely, and even when they were in the air they had doubted that it was safe.

Luke's mum had agreed to meet them there, and the blond was beyond relieved about it. But they were lost in a crowd of restless people, still metres away from where they were supposed to be going.

In one hand Calum held his bag and his other was linked securely with Luke's, desperate to ensure that they weren't separated at any point. When they were out of the crowd, Luke's hand slipped from his and a smile appeared across his face.

"Mum!" He yelled, grabbing her attention from across the room before running and launching himself at her.

Calum watched from the sidelines, grinning, as mother and son were reunited. Their arms were wrapped around each other tightly, and although he couldn't hear what they were saying, he was happy for them. Luke's relationship with his mum was one that no one could help but be jealous of.

"So I'm guessing you boys had a good time?" She laughed as they all climbed into the back of the taxi.

They looked at each other, blushing slightly. "I guess you could say that," Calum spoke eventually, linking his hand with Luke's against the seat.

She noticed, but decided not to mention it again. She was so happy for them, so proud.

The taxi ride home was quick, and Luke felt all kind of emotions when the car pulled up outside his house. The door was fixed now and it looked as though nothing had ever happened there, but he wasn't sure he was fully prepared to live there again, stand in the same spot he had almost died. It was a bit overwhelming.

Yet, he was also happy to be home. It defined him, everything that he was or had ever been was within those four walls, it was all he knew.

"It's okay I've got the bags," Calum announced, jumping immediately out and heaving Luke's and his mums stuff out of the boot.

They followed Luke's mum up the pathway and towards the door as she fished around for her keys in her pocket. Calum sent Luke a small smile, an 'it'll all be okay' kind of look, although it wasn't too reassuring.

The sound of the key turning in the lock made Luke flinch, it was a familiar noise that he was all too used to, but now it was different somehow. He was thankful that no one saw his reaction to this, he didn't need them worrying about him.

Luke took a deep breathe before following the others inside, to find the house exactly how it had been left. It was now free of police officers, but it still felt like a crime scene. They all dumped their bags at the foot of the stairs, Calum and Luke sitting down on the sofa while his mum headed to the kitchen to make them all a drink.

"Home sweet home," Luke sighed, slumping in his seat.

"I know you don't want to be here again."

"Why would I? We had the most amazing week Calum, and now everything has to go back to normal. I've always hated it here, too much has happened. It's been falling apart since my dad left, and now the break in..."

Calum frowned. "You've never spoken about your dad before."

Luke suddenly went upstairs, returning moments later with the small red box in his hands. He sat down and handed it to Calum. "I found this a couple of weeks ago, I haven't been in contact with him for years and I still can't figure out why he left it for me."

Calum opened it slowly and hesitantly, looking carefully through the pictures of Luke when he was younger. "Have you ever tried to get in contact with him? Maybe that's why he left them, he wanted you to try and find him."

"No," Luke shook his head, "even if that was what he wanted he knows I wouldn't do it. Not after what he did, everything changed when he left. I'll never forgive him."

Calum nodded understandingly, carefully closing the small box and handing it back to Luke. "I know it must've been hard for you, and I'm not ever going to make you do something you don't want to do, okay?"

Luke smiled, believing Calum's words.

But not even Calum believed them, because he had other plans.

~~~~~~~

A/n: Calum don't be an idiot

My updates are getting less regular and more terribly written so I'm sorry, but I'm tired, stressed, ill and should be doing school work right now :(

I hope this was sufficient though, and thank you to everyone whose votes for me in the bromance awards so far it means a lot!

Thanks and bye xx