[28] Goodbye

Luke hadn't imagined it would be this hard, entering his bedroom for what could potentially be the last time. It was strange, seeing the walls so bare and the room so empty and devoid of life.

He hung hesitantly by the door, reluctant to step fully inside. For some reason the thought made him feel slightly uncomfortable, it was as though he didn't belong there anymore. He'd grown out of the place.

For the first time in months, Luke's duvet cover was tucked in under his mattress rather than hanging off the side of the wooden frame, and the clothes that usually littered the carpet were packed up in boxes downstairs. The curtains were partially drawn, allowing a small stream of sunlight into the room.

It lit up a patch of the lower wall, revealing three stickmen drawn in permanent marker on the faded blue paint. Luke smiled to himself at the heart-warming memory, he could almost feel the pressure of the pen in his sweaty palm. He must've been four or five at the time, and the picture of himself, his mum and his dad was nothing but a masterpiece.

The glass windows were stained with his grubby fingerprints, slowly increasing in size as the years passed. There were so many different marks around the room that he would leave for another to find, the story of the little boy who grew into a man.

With a tear in his eye but a smile on his face, Luke closed the door.

He headed downstairs to find his mum taking the final picture off of the wall and Calum, Ashton and Michael loading boxes into a removal van outside. The two older boys had agreed to help the couple out, but it turned out Luke didn't have much stuff that needed moving.

His mum planned to move out the following day, but most of her possessions were already packed away and ready for relocation. She had decided it was easiest to focus on Luke for the time being, desperate to give her full attention to her son and make sure he was happy.

"You ready, love?" Calum asked as he spotted Luke hovering at the bottom of the steps.

Luke nodded, willing himself not to cry. "I-I think so."

The billionaire opened his arms almost instinctively, and Luke pressed their bodies together, allowing Calum to wrap his arms securely around his torso. The blond nestled his head into the crook of his boyfriends shoulder, losing himself for a moment.

"C'mon lovebirds," Ashton grinned whilst motioning towards the front door. "Everything's set."

Calum linked his fingers with Luke's, leading the blond out of the house and kissing his forehead as the boy stared sadly at the house.

"I'm really gonna miss this old place," Luke mumbled, taking a seat next to Calum in the taxi. They set off just the two of them, the others having said their goodbyes and wished them luck shortly before, following the removal van down the street.

Calum nodded understandingly. He'd known from the start that the move would be difficult for Luke, and he was going to support him no matter what.

"When are you going to move all of your things?" Luke asked, the sudden realisation that Calum had only been home once or twice since their return to the country hitting him in the face.

Calum hummed. "Everything's already been moved, it's just your stuff that hasn't."

"What?" Luke's face fell, despite his attempts to hide it. He was rather disappointed. "When did you do that and why didn't you tell me? I love you Calum, I love you a lot more than I care to admit, but you have a real problem with keeping things to yourself."

Calum nodded, his face a little sad. "I know, I'm trying to stop but it's hard. I've never really been close to someone before, it's proving difficult to learn how to deal with it. I just want everything to be perfect, you know? Somehow I thought that if you moved in with everything already prepared it would be more special."

Luke rested his head against Calum's chest, inhaling the smell that clung to his shirt. "It will be special no matter what, because I get to move in with you."

To ruin the moment, the taxi stopped abruptly and the two were flung forwards, caught only by their seat belts. The driver quickly apologised but then proceeded to place the blame on the removal van, finally announcing that they'd arrived. Before Luke had even registered what had happened, Calum had gone from his seat and appeared at the blonds door, opening it and helping him out.

Just as Luke was thanking his boyfriend, he shrieked at the sudden cold hands on his face, covering his eyes. "Oh, it's a surprise, is it? Why couldn't you have bought a scarf or something, you're gonna freeze my face."

"Because you'd look stupid with a scarf on your face."

"So I don't look stupid with your hands on my face?!" Luke exclaimed, attempting to hurry the billionaire up by motioning with his hands in hopes he would release him.

Calum laughed, leading him forward little. "Okay careful, that's it put your left foot forward. Wait, no not there!"

Thankfully he managed to warn the blond before he toppled face first towards the concentrate, and instead stumbled but managed to keep himself on his feet. Luke huffed. "You might wanna get that fixed. Also, if I'm about to smash my face in, you could at least try and catch me."

"Yeah but then I would've spoilt the surprise," Calum rolled his eyes, guiding the blond closer to the house. He earned a moan in response, and then Luke's frustrated muttering about priorities.

"How far away is the house, Cal? I think I've been walking for an hour."

Calum grinned, not caring that Luke couldn't see his facial expressions. "You can stop now, it's just up ahead. I'll count down and then take my hands away, okay?"

Luke nodded, biting on his lip in an attempt to conceal his excitement. But it was obvious to both of them that it was failing. "Yeah."

"Three."

Calum made sure he was completely covering Luke's sight, preparing himself for his boyfriends reaction.

"Two."

Luke couldn't stand still, his hands were shaking and he kept adjusting the position of his feet, trying to get comfortable.

"One."

Calum took his hands away.

~~~~~~~

A/n: woaH I UPDATED HI

Turns out I'm really bad at bringing stories to a close this isn't as cute as it was meant to be I'm sorry, but it's almost the end I'm gonna cry halp

Thank you for reading ily xxx