[5] Stranger Danger

Luke grabbed his phone and bag, waved goodbye to his mum and ran out the front door, not wanting to be late for work. It was always busiest on a Monday, although he wasn't completely sure why, the only evidence he had being the extra half a dozen or so of unfamiliar kids who occasionally showed up on that day.

That meant, unlike the general negative view, Monday was his favourite day of the week. It made his job harder of course, having extra young children to keep quiet and under control, comfort the ones who were sad and encourage the shy ones to join in with the activities and conversations. But he didn't have a problem with that, it was better than having to work with adults. Kids of that age couldn't judge, after all.

Thankfully he arrived at the library on time, taking the book from the table that had already been picked out and sitting on a beanbag in the middle of the circle of children.

"Once upon a time..." He began, but stopped when he felt a hand on his shoulder. Above him was a guy wearing leather, his hair a light blue colour and a face that made Luke assume this person was of a similar age to him.

"I hate to interrupt story time," he chuckled, "but I need to talk to you, Luke."

Luke smiled at the children, promising to return to the story as soon as soon as he was ready, and followed the stranger to behind a row of shelves.

"Ok firstly," Luke said sharply, pointing his index finger just inches from the guys chest, "who are you? And how do you know my name?"

He didn't flinch, in fact looked almost amused. "Name is Michael, and let's just say, I was sent by a certain someone who just has to talk to you."

Luke frowned, not understanding what 'Michael' was trying to say. Did he have a stalker now? Or was this just some stupid joke a group of teenagers were playing to try and seem funny?

"And this person who sent you, who's he huh? Is he paying you to interrupt me when I'm supposed to be working?" Luke raised an eyebrow.

"Of course he's paying me," Michael rolled his eyes as though it was obvious, "what else is he supposed to do with all that money?"

Wait, money?

Luke groaned in frustration, fighting the temptation to punch a wall. It was obvious.

"Well I'm getting back to work, since some people actually have to earn money, so run back to your stupid little billionaire buddy Calum and tell him I'm not interested. Deal?"

Michael didn't respond, however he didn't look so impressed. Luke scoffed and returned to the children, glaring at the guy as he dragged himself away from the library with disappointment.

"Sorry about that," Luke explained, and continued reading the story aloud.

When he had finished, the little girl called Bethany launched herself at the blond. "That was great, Lukey!"

"Thank you Bethany," he laughed, embracing the girl carefully, "are you coming again tomorrow?"

She giggled and ruffled his hair. "Of course I am, silly! Your stories are the bestest!"

He released the girl and waved her goodbye, watching as she left through the front door with her small hands linked lovingly with both of her parents.

Luke held his phone in his hand, unsure about what to do with it. He could call his mum, ask her to come pick him up to prevent Michael from trying to talk to him again, but she was probably busy. The other option was that he could call Ashton, perhaps tell him about the developments of his and Calum's so-called 'relationship.' But he chose to do neither, so instead hung around the library for a bit longer so he wouldn't have to be alone.

After watching people come and go all afternoon, sitting in the corner with nothing more than the companionship of a tattered children's book, he left his seat and headed home.

Well, he didn't get too far.

The minute Luke stepped into the outdoors, he was aware of someone watching him, following him. The same guy as earlier, no doubt. The one that Calum had sent to do his work for him, as usual, and clearly would not accept a no as the final answer.

He stopped in his tracks, turning reluctantly around so he stood face on with Michael. "You're following me and it's creepy. What do you want?"

"For you to listen, would be a rather good start." Michael paused, as if waiting for Luke's comeback. But when it didn't come, he continued. "Calum just wants to talk to you, Luke. He's been texting you all day yet you've been ignoring him."

"So what?" Luke scoffed, "that's my choice. Has he never been rejected before or something?"

Michael chuckled. "To be completely honest, no."

Luke bit his lip to attempt to conceal a smile, but it failed. "This is too funny."

"No, it's not," Michael frowned, "Calum's really upset about all this. And I'm his best friend, I hate seeing him upset."

Michael was Calum's best friend. He mentally face palmed. Of course he was. Why was he so bad at seeing the obvious?

"Look, I just don't wanna talk to him, okay? He's annoying and ungrateful. Some people are just like that, Michael, and he's one of them. If they're the qualities you look for in a best friend, then fine I don't care, whatever it's up to you. But I'm not interested in talking to him yet, so tell him I'll be there on Friday with my mum. I just can't afford to contact him right now, I don't want to-" he stopped, searching for the right thing to say.

"Don't want to what?"

"To fall for him."

~~~~~~~

A/n: lalala I'm so busy right now I apologise for not updating in a while and for possibly slower than normal updates over the next few weeks but I'll try my best :)

I hope this chapter was okay? Basically Luke likes Calum but he doesn't and it's so weird to write but yeah maybe everything will become clearer soon?

Also thank you to everyone who's reading, I have over 100 votes in just four chapters! I'm so excited this has never happened to me before

Stay awesome guys ;) xx