Despair and Hope

"Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!" shouted Chazzie as he banged on the reptile's boxes with a bamboo stick. Malcolm raised his head and just sat like that for a while as Maddie raised her head and popped the knots in her back. Chazzie then came up and banged on their box startling them. "Wake up snakies! wake up". Malcolm then felt a rush of hatred when he saw Maddie looking scared when Chazzie banged on the glass.  Without thinking, Malcolm hissed and showed his fangs causing Chazzie to jump back in fright and run out of the reptile house. Zoe smirked when she saw this, and not just from Chazzie being scared. "Huh, Jackie was right, this is kinda fun" Malcolm said to himself. I'm sorry to say that one thing she was wrong about. was the shows getting easier. While animals like Pretty Boy were having the time of their lives being treated like princes and princesses. Day after day the shows only got worse for the reptiles. As they went through torture as shows went from Frank getting sprayed by an old woman with bug spray, Zoe having popcorn spat on her and Maddie and Malcolm scaring people and having Maddie to feel even more hurt, and Malcolm to feel angry at the fact that these humans were mistreating the reptiles emotional. Malcolm would have used this to his advantage and scared the humans to get back at them, but he thought this might upset Maddie even more, or get them both into big trouble, and he DEFINITELY didn't want that. it just went on like this for days. Showtime, humans getting scared, back in the box, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat... until one day, something bad happened... It was just after another show, Maddie and Malcolm were tossed back into the wooden box. Maddie sounding like she was about to cry. Malcolm took notice of this and moved his tail over her in a comforting way, he was about to hug her when. "HELP, theirs a kid in the crocodile pool!" this got both of their attention. "CHAZZIE! they heard Chazz shout. "JACKIE! Maddie shouted. Malcolm couldn't move, everything was happening so fast. he felt Chazz put down the box and heard him run off. shortly after he realized they were being dropped back into their boxes, they then heard sirens. "Whats happening? why are there sirens?" Nigel asked. I hate sirens. Maybe the parks on fire". Frank suggested. "Maybe Pretty Boy died". Nigel gasped "Nah, I've seen plans for his funeral, theirs a quire. Zoe replied. "It's Jackie, they thought she was attacking Chazzie, but she was only trying to help him". Maddie explained. They all looked at the monitor in the office, and to their horror the saw Jackie, struggling with two animal graspers around her jaw and neck.

"Leave her alone!" Maddie cried and banged her head against the glass. "She didn't do anything she was just trying to help" as she continued banging on the glass. the others were now getting scared. Maddie. I've gotta get out of her! she cried. Let me out! Maddie! Zoe said getting her attention. Maddie looked at her, breathing heavily. I'll take a closer look, ok. Zoe said calmly, but worried. she then crawled down her tree, activated her mechanism and crawled out of her box.

Zoe's pov:

I crawled out of an air vent and onto the roof, i then moved onto one of the one stone heads and looked down. there i saw Jackie in a cage surrounded by humans, all looking down at her. i looked closely and saw how sad she looked, and when i saw that van, i knew what was happening. "oh Jackie" i said sadly. she gazed up slightly and looked at me, then smiled at me before she was moved into the van. i watched her through the window in the van as it drove off i felt like i was gonna cry at that moment.

3rd person pov:

The other reptiles watched the monitor that showed the van drive off with Jackie, they all stared in sadness realizing that the mother figure they all knew and loved... was gone. Malcolm noticed that Maddie was crying this time, without hesitation he used his tail to bring her close to his chest and gently placed his head on top of hers, as the lights went off.

Time skip:

The reptiles all stared at the only light coming from Jackie's empty enclosure, all of them looking like they were about to cry, even Malcolm, who pretty much never showed sadness. Maddie slithered back into her den and burred her head in her coils, while Malcolm turned away from the other reptiles. "Who's gonna tell us stories now? Nigel asked meekly. uh, Maddie? Frank suggested. Tell us about the mountains. Nigel said softly. Maddie then raised her head and looked at the picture on the wall. she the burred her head back in her coils and said. No. "Why not? Nigel asked. "Because i'm done just talking about them". a rare wave of determination striking over her as she slithered out of her den. "I say we go out and see them for our-self's. What!. the others shouted in surprise. Break out of here tonight. She continued. Nigel fainted. "Are you nuts? Frank asked. "Those mountains are in the outback, that's five hund- five- fifteen hundred and.. nine miles away". Frank said, confused as he tried to figure out what was the right number. Nigel jumped back up onto his rock and began to panic. "No no no no, i can't leave my glass box, the glass box is me, the glass box is me". Breath Nigel, Breath! Frank and Malcolm encouraged. Nigel picked up a leaf and blew into about three times before fainting again. "Welp, we're down to four" Zoe said. "Guys listen to me" Maddie said sternly getting all of their attention. "I know it's scary but do you want to end up like Jackie, spend your whole lives being put on display like, freaks!?  "Because that's what we are in here, monsters. everyone looked down in thought slightly. "But out there" Maddie continued. We're someone's kid, someone's brother, sister. Family. out there we can be- Dancers!? Frank interrupted. our-self's. Maddie smiled. the others looked up slightly in hope. "Zoe, climb out and unlock our cages". Malcolm said. Maddie's right we can be who we want out there, not captured displays in here. Maddie smiled and couldn't help but blush faintly when Malcolm backed her up, thankfully no one else noticed. "Tonight, we're going back to the outback". They said together.