More then friends

(How about two for the price of one?)

The reptiles continued their journey to the outback meeting other agents of the ugly secret society and doing different things like going through a cave full of bats, disguising them self's as things for dung beetles to role and following a platypus through a swamp. During this time Maddie and Malcolm hadn't spoken to each other.

Eventually they came to a spot where they could see a giant rock and decided to settle down there for the night. "Wow, that's amazing" Nigel said while they were all looking up at the sky. "Makes me feel so small and insignificant" Frank said. "We are small and insignificant" Zoe replied. "Makes me wonder if i'm a god" Pretty Boy piped up. "Seriously doesn't that cluster look like me?" He said. "Makes me miss Jackie" Maddie said. "She would have loved seeing all this" She said looking up at the sky which looked kind of like them. "Can you sing us the song Maddie, the one your mum used to sing when you were in the egg?" Zoe asked. Maddie looked at her a frown on her face. But then she smiled and nodded. The others got comfy and she started to sing. 

(Video not mine)

When Maddie finished she turned around to see that everyone was asleep, everyone but Malcolm who was resting his head on his coils and looking away from her. "Hey, Malcolm" She said getting his attention. "I'm sorry I snapped at you when we were nearly captured, that was very brave to go up against Chazz like that and try to save me" Malcolm smiled and raised his head. "It's okay Maddie, I'm just sorry I couldn't save you" he said. Maddie blushed slightly. "And thank you" She said. Malcolm looked confused. "For what?" He asked. "For always sticking out for me" Maddie said. "You consoled and helped me after the shows or when a human says something bad about me, you comforted me when we lost Jackie and supported my decision to go to the outback, and to top it all off you even tried to save me from Chazz despite knowing the risks and getting injured your-self" She then realized what she just said. "Oh my god you were injured- it's okay Maddie" Malcolm said calmly while holding up his tail to stop her. "I didn't suffer any serious injury and if I did do you really think i'd have made it this far?" He asked. "N-no but I should have checked on you sooner" She said annoyed with her actions. "And I'm not mad at you because of that" Malcolm said slithering over to her and sitting next to the right of her. "But hey, nobody's perfect and it's alright now isn't it?" "Yeah, it is" Maddie chuckled. They sat in silence for a bit until. "Aw look, falling dandruff" Maddie said. As they looked at the falling dandruff Malcolm began thinking back to the conversation he had with Zoe after they were nearly caught, does she love me? he thought. Maybe that's what Zoe was going to tell me back at school, Zoe smart so she's bound to know something like that, should I tell her my feelings? He thought back to a conversation he had with Jackie.

"I... don't know Jackie... what if  I chicken out halfway through and how will I know when to confess?" Malcolm asked. "Malcolm, your not gonna chicken out because when you do confess, you'll be over come with hope that will stop your fear, as for how you will know, your heart will tell you when it is the right time" Jackie said in a motherly tone

My heart says now is the right time. Malcolm thought. "Hey Maddie" he said looking over to her. "Hmm" She looked over at him. "Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to be loved?" He asked. Maddie looked confused. "Aren't I already loved by you, Zoe and- I don't mean by us, I mean by someone who, loves you, like as a mate" Malcolm explained. "O-oh, um, no I haven't". "Why?" Malcolm asked Mainly because I, don't know any other snakes, and even if I did, I don't know if they would want to stay with a shy snake like me?" she said. "Maddie, your not shy" Malcolm said feeling a rush of hope flow through him. "What do mean?" Maddie asked. "You were the one who came up with the idea to go back to the outback and kept us going the whole way, and despite the fact you were scared at times, that's just life, and not many shy snakes would keep going after what we've been through" Malcolm paused before continuing. "And while the others will probably leave to be with their families, I wouldn't leave you ever and make you sad... Because I love you. Maddie stared at him, her mouth slightly agape. "I'm not perfect, I'm just another taipan, but a taipan that loves you with all his being and will keep you safe and happy even if it means I have to put my life on the line, or if it means I'm never happy again, so Maddie... will you be my mate?" Malcolm finished. When he looked up Maddie had covered her mouth with her tail and tears were leaking from her eyes, Malcolm at first thought he might get rejected, but then Maddie removed her tail from her mouth and smiled at him. "Malcolm, that's the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me, and if what you say is true and you continue to support and comfort me the way you do, then i'd love nothing more then to be your mate" Malcolm smiled and slithered slowly towards her, he cupped the side of her head with his tail and slowly moved towards her face gently pressing his lips against hers. They kissed for a good while before they needed to break for air. They smiled at each other. "I love you Maddie" Malcolm said. "And I love you too Malcolm" Maddie said. And with that Malcolm curled up leaving his head out and Maddie curled herself around Malcolm's body resting her head on top of his.

The two of them were resting soundly, nothing could disturb them from that moment, and as Zoe predicted it would be a forever-lasting-unbreakable-bond.