Chapter 53: The Stars Above

💫 Drops of Starlight 💫
By Strawberry Moon Rose
🍓🌙🌹

Surprise! You get this chapter a little early. Long story short, a squirrel chewed through a wire outside, leaving us without internet for a few days (Again! This has actually happened twice in the duration of posting this story. Dare I say that's nuts. Is that what we get for befriending and feeding them? Haha). My phone data is garbage, and I can't do this tomorrow, so I'm currently at a Starbucks using their Wi-Fi to edit and upload. This of all chapters, I swear to goddess.

Well, at least I had an excuse to buy a latte. The heat from the drink is why I'm blushing, people, I swear, I'm not reading anything inappropriate over here. I sure as hell didn't write it, nuh uh.

This chapter is rated M for Mature. Reader discretion advised.

It's so mild, probably not even worth changing the rating to be honest, but I'm still mortified to be posting it online. That's pretty much how I feel about this entire story, but I can't turn back now.

_________________________________
Chapter 53: The Stars Above
_________________________________

With a decisive click, Usagi and Seiya turned the key in the lock, ushering themselves into the Starlights' penthouse. Despite the darkness, the place radiated warmth, courtesy of the furnace working overtime. The lingering scent of Minako's spicy curry from lunch hung scrumptiously in the air.

"Luna!" Usagi called out while flinging her coat haphazardly over the back of the sofa.

Seiya flicked on a lamp, casting the place in an amber-hued glow. "Didn't Luna head off with Artemis to the shrine? Come to think of it, Yaten went to Ami's with Taiki too."

"Everyone totally ditched us! After we saved the day and everything. What gives?"

"I don't know, but it's kind of nice having the place to ourselves for once."

"Yeah..." The place to ourselves....? Usagi wasn't sure how to interpret that remark. Typical Seiya would wink as she said it, but she hadn't. Maybe it was just an observation. Nevertheless, she was right - they hadn't been truly alone since the mall incident required round-the-clock protection.

Usagi crouched to free Chibi-Usa from her car seat. The baby was immersed in slumber, sucking her thumb as Usagi stood. She swayed back and forth, making sure her daughter didn't wake before making her way toward the staircase.

Once Chibi-Usa was safely settled, Usagi returned, curiosity eating at her. What does Seiya want to show me?

The cab ride had passed snuggling in the backseat while the heater blasted and a sweet pop ballad drifted from the radio. Seiya had divulged nothing, leaving Usagi in a state of anticipation.

She found Seiya waiting by a door adjacent to the kitchen, still wearing her coat. Usagi approached with a quizzical expression.

"Put this back on," Seiya instructed, passing Usagi her jacket. "Don't want you catching a cold now."

"What's this all about?"

"Patience, Bun Head, patience." Seiya helped her into the garment and then proceeded to open the door. Darkness greeted Usagi's gaze. A stairwell? She'd always assumed this door led to a walk-in pantry.

"Ladies first," Seiya said, motioning her in.

"In that case, you go! Who knows what's up there? It could be a haunted attic! You know, on second thought, I think I'll pass on this adventure..."