Chapter 56 (THE DOLL)

Author's POV

It was noon, at the tower of Safe Haven, Jia was walking around while eating a lollipop. Savoring it to her heart's content just like any other kid would do. The walls are filled with glass panes in order to look outside. Jia didn't mind her surroundings at first until something caught her eye. She pressed her hands on the glass to take examine the item stuck on a tree branch.

"It's so pwetty!" The lollipop stick rested on her tongu as she brought her cheek closer to the glass.

It was a beautiful rag doll that she wants to get a hold of against all odds

It was a beautiful rag doll that she wants to get a hold of against all odds. But the tree is outside of the stadium. She pouted. Back at the orphanage, she never experienced owning one. Or maybe something not THIS beautiful. "How do I get there?" Jia walked to the left and then to the right to get different angles of the doll. "Hmhp." She reached for her pockets to get the watch Y/n gave her not too long ago. "Uhhh.." She traced the hands of the clock and counted her fingers. "Five, six, umm, seven!" It's currently 5 PM and she has two hours before dark. Jia threw the finished lollipop inside the dust bin and decided to wait till sunset.

Soldier: Move it! Quick!

Soldier: Tell Captain that we've arrived!

Soldier: Not that much B.O.W's around the suburbs but hell those crazy bastards are everywhere!

Soldier: We'll look into it once Captain says so.

Jia's eyes lit up when she saw armored cars enter from the way the tree is standing next to. Soldiers were unloading the cars filled with supplies and carrying them inside. Jia jumped in joy as she suspected that there IS a door accessible to reach that tree. It just made her even more excited to get a hold of it. "I'm coming for you lil Jia!" she cooed while staring at its face.

--

Jia sneaked past the soldiers guarding the storage area. Thanks to the amount of boxes and crates stashed in each corner, and her size, it helped her get one step closer to her goal. She hopped over a broken window and saw the lawn where the tree stood, swaying ever so lightly. To her left is another window but it's blocked by a wood, making her pout. "I have to get to that tree." She glanced at her right and she saw a bulletin board with lots of papers on it. "What is this?"

'Back door closing time: 8 PM

Opening time: 6 AM

Code to reset: 123456

Code to set: 200300'

Jia looked at her watch. '7:55 PM' She grabbed a pen from the nearby desk and wrote down the numbers on her arm. Pulling down the sleeves of her jacket afterwards.

Tabs: I want macaroni salad for dinner man.

Jia crouched beside a cabinet when two soldiers walked past her while talking. Alas, her jaw dropped when the door she's been searching for awhile has finally entered her sights. Tempting her to leave and grab that doll already. The two soldiers sat on a chair outside and Jia took the chance to sneak up to the door lock to set the timer. The usual closing time is 8 PM but she had to divert those soldiers' attention. Glancing at her watch, it was just 7:56 "I'm not good at math." She set the timer to two minutes. Initially, the timer will make a warning sound once it shows five seconds to alert the soldiers on duty. and it won't open till morning.