12. The Determination That Is Keith.

(Keith's POV)

I didn't think I'd said anything since the... Incident at Kylie's house.

I mean, give a guy a break, am I right?

I was still pretty shell-shocked about the whole thing.

And though I felt bad about leaving Kylie alone at her house, where she was probably crying (even if I hoped she wasn't), Ryder said I needed to give her some space, and that he'd talk to her later.

That didn't sit well or agree with me, but I bore with it anyways.

Andrew parked the car at the ground and told me I was free to get out. I didn't really know what to say, so I just nodded and thanked him.

"I'll see you later, Keith. And if I'm not here, just call me. I'll come pick you up."

"Hmm, yeah. Thanks, man."

"No problem. By the way, catch."

Andrew tossed me something I just managed to catch.

I unclenched my fist, and smiled at the mint filled chocolate in my palm.

"You look like you need it."

I smiled sadly, and peeled the chocolate open before putting it in my mouth and pocketing the wrapper.

"Bye, Andrew."

"Bye, Keith. All the best."

I smiled and jumped out of the car, just as Ryder got out of his.

He seemed to be on the phone, and briefly, I wondered if it was Kylie he was talking to, but then I shook the thought away.

Whatever. This wasn't the time.

I could worry about Kylie after football.

~~~~~~

All through practice, my head seemed to be screwed on all wrong, until finally my coach just benched me. And though it was embarassing, I couldn't seem to find it in myself to care.

"Hey, Keith? Come here a minute, please." My head coach said, beckoning me over.

"Yes, sir?"

"Off day for you, today? You don't seem to be yourself."

"I know, sir. I'm sorry. There's just a lot been going on."

"Hmmm... Girl problems?"

I looked up, surprised. My coach on the other hand, just had a giant smirk on his face.

"How did you...?"

"Know?"

I nodded.

"Because I'm aware of your... Arrangements for the week. Also, I used to see that, uhh-what-the-heck-just-happened expression in the mirror a lot when I was your age, and most of the time, it was because I'd just had a crazy run-in with a girl I'd liked."

I smiled sheepishly.

I should have expected this, I guess. Nothing ever escaped my coach.

"So, do you have any... Advice?" I asked.

"That depends on the situation. Let's talk after class, though. Not now."

I nodded at my coach and went back to the bench.

~~~~~~

After class, my coach came and sat down beside me.

"So, what's going on with you?" He asked.

"A lot. Because my parents are out of town, I'm staying with my friend Kylie. Actually, I don't even think I can call her a friend. I mean, we used to be friends before, and now we're just..."

"In a limbo between friends, not friends and almost in a relationship?"

"Coach!" I laughed. "You've got to stop doing that!"

"Doing what? Knowing exactly what you mean?" My coach asked, smiling good naturedly.

I began to smile too.

"Okay, so now that I understand your predicament, it's easy. All you have to do, is just roll with it. Do what feels right. And I'm sure this girl you're talking about, will understand. Even if you screw up. I mean, any girl lucky enough to be pursued by my tough-guy team captain has got to be worth it, am I right?"

My coach nudged me, gently.

"I guess so."

My coach nodded.

"But seriously, we all know that girls just like to be complimented. Therefore, flattery is the way to go. Flatter the hell out of her, and she'll be at your feet!"

My coach laughed, and I laughed too.

"I'm kidding. Just do what you think is right, and all will go the way it's supposed to. After all,"

"Everything will work out if it's meant to be." I finished, having heard that statement too many times to count.

"Good job!" My coach patted me on the back and got up. "Anyways, it's getting late. You'd better run."

I got up and nodded.

"Thank you, sir."

"Oh, no problem. I'm always here, and happy to help. Now, not another word. Go!"

I nodded and ran off to go find Andrew.