Ten

Cautious, you squatted behind a decorative wall. Plants let their leaves hang down, too much weight to hold them up.

Next to you, Joel cursed.

"Fuck...", he whispered as he peeled the fabric of his glove out of the wound.

Checking, you threw a gaze at the injury yourself.

"Knife?", you asked and slid your hand into the side of the backpack.

"Yeah. I was careless."

"You should take care of it. Here.", you pulled some bandages and disinfectant out. "Just leave some. It's the last I have."

Hesitantly, he accepted it. There was still this skepticism in his eyes, the reticence as if he were facing an enemy.
You couldn't blame him, he wasn't a friend in your eyes either. But if you helped him, then he was in your debt.

More than he already was anyways. And maybe that would be of use to you when you met Abby.

You glanced over your shoulder at the room.

Empty.

But the hairs on the back of your neck stood up. There was someone in this place.

"Where's the other one?", you asked, looking at Joel.

He shrugged.

"What other one?", he asked in return.

You rolled your eyes.

It was useless to deny that he had come alone. The other man had to be here too, only it didn't seem logical to you that they had separated.

"Now don't talk bullshit. Back at my place you had company. The other one. Tommy? Is that his name?"

With a suppressed growl, Joel nodded, but most of his attention was needed to not only clean the wound properly, but also to apply the bandage without it squeezing more blood from his body.

An amused chuckle escaped you at the sight.

"You really suck at this.", you turned to him. "Come. I'll help you."

Out of reflex, he pulled his hand away.

"I'm okay."

With one eyebrow raised, you smirked.

"Apparently not. Don't worry, I have no interest in harming you."

"And why are you interested in helping me?"

You shrugged.

"You and your friend already owe me a favor anyway.", determined, you grabbed his hand and pulled it closer to you so you could get a better look at the wound. "Pretty deep. Slipped?"

Reluctant but not completely unwilling, he nodded and let you examine him.

"What are my brother and I supposed to owe you? I should have known that you are not just a savior in times of need."

You nodded.

"Of course not. Nothing in this world is for free. But don't worry, I'm not going to ask for money or food or anything like that."

"What then?"

"A promise."

His eyebrows rose in surprise.

"A promise?", his fingers twitched as you sprayed the disinfectant on the clean wound.

You nodded again, absorbed in your work.

"I'm here on a personal matter.", you said, wrapping the first layer of bandage tightly around his hand. "If you meet a woman here, promise me you won't hurt her."

"A friend of yours?"

"No.", you raised your eyes, cold and full of burning hate. "I hate her."

He did not answer. But a cold shiver crawled down his spine, making every single inch of his body grow goosebumps. The way he looked at you changed all of a sudden.

Now, he wasn't cautious anymore but a bit frightened by the cold honesty that came out of your mouth.

"You came all this way just for her. Must be a bitch.", he said after a while of silence. "There must be something unforgivable between the two of you."

With a smirk, you let go of his hand.

"She is. But that's none of your business.", with a swift movement, you got back up on your feet and wiped the snow off your legs. "And you? What are you doing here?"

For a moment Joel eyed the hand, turning it and moved his fingers to check if they were alright. Everything was still burning, now even more.

But the numbness was fading. Instead, pain spread. But pain was a good sign, it meant that the flesh was still intact and the arm uninjured.

A red stain was already soaking into the white bandage.

The cut was deeper than he had expected. But the work was good enough to provide protection from infections and to keep everything in place. He would ask Ellie later to stitch things up.

With a groan, Joel grabbed his revolver and got up as well.

"Also a personal matter.", he said.

"Let me guess. None of my business?"

He nodded. A hint of a smirk appeared in the corner of his lips.

"Exactly. But if you meet a young woman, dark brown hair with a plant tattoo on her arm, don't kill her. She belongs to me."

Understanding, you nodded.

"So you're here to save your lover.", a short laugh escaped you. "How romantic. A mansion, wrapped in snow. Just the two of you."

Immediately, he pulled a face and shook his head.

"Fuck no. Ellie is...", he hesitated, his eyes wandered over your face.

You smirked, tilting your head.

"You don't have to be careful. I already know that you're from Jackson and your name. And if I wanted to harm you, you'd be dead by now.", you threw a glance over your shoulder to check the surroundings again. "Truth be told, as soon as I find what I'm looking for I'll never want to see you again. Or your chatty sidekick."

At the word sidekick, Joel had to snort in amusement.

"Tommy's my brother.", he said and let out a deep, relaxing breath. "And Ellie's my daughter. She doesn't look exactly like me, but if you meet her it will be easy to notice."

With a nod, you took that information in.

"I'll keep an eye out for her.", you offered him a hand to shake. "The woman I am looking for has red hair. She's quite broad, so be careful and don't try to fistfight her, okay?"

Sceptical, he eyed your hand.

"Why shake hands with a stranger, all of a sudden?", he asked.

You smiled.

"I want to be sure that we won't get into each other's way. Just let me do my thing. I'll help you out in return. Deal?"

"Fine.", he accepted. "Let's be friends as long as we are stuck here."

"Friends is a big word, Jackson boy. Let's say allies due to circumstances."

He shrugged.

"Whatever suites you best."