Eleven

Slowly you walked through the empty rooms of the mansion. The light of the flashlight painted circles in the dust and made shadows dance like demons.

You held your breath and listened. Over your head, footsteps sounded, probably Joel. He and you had split up so he didn't have to deal with the lower floors and could meet up with his brother.

But there were other sounds as well. Again and again you thought you heard cars moving. But the noises were much too quiet for that. They had to be in the distance or already moving away from the house.

A curse left your lips.

If Abby retreated it had all been for nothing. On the other hand, there was no guarantee she was here. You only suspected it. Secretly, you wished she was in this place. It would make things a lot easier.

Cautiously, you glanced around the corner.

All clear.

Slowly you ventured further into the room.

Your finger was dancing on the trigger of the revolver, twitching at every slightest stimulus, threatening to fire a shot.

Suddenly, footsteps sounded.

Alarmed, you ducked behind a desk and waited.

The footsteps came closer. Two people, lightweight. They were talking to each other, but the words were only unintelligible mumbling.

The door to the room swung open and out of the corner of your eye you could see them enter.

One of them had dark hair, tied into a knot. Her skin was brownish and when she turned her head to talk to the other woman, she laughed. With childlike levity, the two women began to giggle and tease each other. They seemed comfortable with each other, probably lovers.

When the other woman, with pale skin, dressed in a pair of jeans and an olive parker over a gray T-shirt turned her gaze, your heart skipped a beat.

She had tied her shoulder-length hair in the back so the strands didn't fall in her face. She was a pretty young woman, with a sparkle inside her green eyes.

There was something about the way she laughed and joked that made her look a lot like Joel.
A strange warmth spread through your cheeks at the thought.

When you looked a second time at her, you noticed a tattoo on her right forearm.

"Oh?", with a smile your eyebrows rose. "So you are Ellie. Interesting. He was really right, it's easy to recognize you. You are very much like him..."

But how were you supposed to get their attention without scaring them?

They might even shoot you, Ellie had a shotgun with her and the other lady seemed to be armed as well.

For a moment you held your breath to think better. Your hand clutched the revolver. You had no intention in hurting anyone, but you didn't want to die either.

You exhaled deeply and cleared your throat.

Alarmed by the loud noise, the two ladies fell silent. Their eyes jumped through the room.

"Who's there?", Ellie raised the shotgun in warning.

With a smirk, you closed your eyes and took another deep breath before daring to raise your hands.

It was stupidity to act this way, but what option did you have?

"Please don't shoot.", you asked in a calm voice, placing the revolver on the desk before raising your head. "I am not an enemy."

"Who is going to believe you?", the other lady asked.
Surprised and yet amused, you raised your eyebrows.

"Someone's prickly.", you joked. "Listen, I don't want to have anything to do with you, I'm here on personal business."

"Then why are you talking to us?", Ellie asked in such a harsh tone that you almost had to laugh at how similar she was to Joel.

The skepticism in her voice was exactly the same as in his and the way she narrowed her eyes was also one-to-one.

"I made a deal with someone.", you shoved your hands into the pockets of your jacket to show how little of a threat you were. "Joel asked me not to kill you in case we meet. He's looking for you."

Suddenly there was surprise in Ellie's gaze. Her eyes widened and for a brief moment she hesitated.

"You know Joel?", she asked.

The woman next to her growled.

"Anyone could say that.", she hissed, pulling out a knife.

But Ellie held her back.

"Dina, don't!", she blocked the way with an arm. "What if it's the truth?"

Dina laughed.

"Bullshit!"

"But not everyone knows Joel's name.", Ellie's eyes retuned to you. "You. Hey, you, tell me what he looks like. If you know Joel, tell me what he looks like."

You shrugged and leaned forward to rest your torso on the desk.

"I don't really know him. We have an agreement.", you said. "He's pretty old for a world like this. Like, mid to late forties? Dark hair, but he's turning grey. Has a beard and a bit of a rough look. Tired eyes, but hard as steel."

Tensed, Ellie listened. As your description reached her ears, she slowly lowered the barrel of the shotgun.

"Holy shit, you really know him.", she gasped. "Where is he?"

You pointed to the ceiling.

"Upstairs. He's looking for his brother. Thomas? Tom? No it was Tommy, wasn't it?"

Now, even Dina raised her eyebrows. There was a look on her face as if she couldn't believe that you were actually telling the truth.

"What relationship do you and him have exactly?", she asked.

You curled your nose, visibly disgusted.

"None.", you said and picked up the revolver. "I promised I'd keep an eye out for his daughter. And he promised me to let someone live in return. Come, I'll lead the way. It's safer to go as a group."

You started walking, but stopped at the door.

The two were not moving. They were smart, survivors that knew there was danger lurking behind every corner.

And inside every human.

"We will look for him.", Ellie finally said and told Dina with a gesture of her head to get moving.

You sighed annoyed, rolling your eyes.

"I appreciate that the two of you don't see me as a friend, but I need to take the same way as you anyways. I checked the basement and it's empty, so I need to go up to find what I'm looking for."

Ellie hesitated.

"You go first. If you try something funny...", she pointed the shotgun at you. "I'll shoot you."