Forty-One

With a scowl, Joel picked his way through the labs.

Room after room, door after door, his heart pounded in the hope that he would come face to face with Ellie. But she seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

But he was lucky, no one was waiting for him in any of the rooms, no enemy ran across his path and threatened to open him up.

Carefully he pushed the door handle down and took a look through the gap.

Nothing.

A heavy sigh left his lips and he pulled the door shut again. That had been the last room. Ellie was nowhere to be found, so that had to mean she wasn't in the building.

"Shit...", cursing softly, he hit the wall.

That was all he needed.

First he had imagined what it would be like to return to Jackson with you and now he couldn't even find his daughter.

Frustration tied his throat.

He had to bite his lips to keep from screaming out loud.
But just as his eyes fell into the hallway across, he could spot a shadow dragging itself past.

Irritated, he squinted his eyes and approached cautiously.

A trail of blood spread on the floor and walls.

He caught a quick glimpse of the person's back before he disappeared behind a corner.

"Abby?", he whispered in confusion.

Suddenly, someone bumped into him. Surprised, he stumbled and fell to the floor.

A clang sounded, something made of metal fell to the ground.

You didn't waste a second and immediately jumped up again. A quick glance over your shoulder, you recognized his face and kept running. There was a silent apology in your eyes.

"(Y/N)!", Joel called after you, but couldn't get up fast enough to follow you.

He wanted to follow you, but hesitated when the bloodstained blade of his knife caught his eye. His fingers reached out for it, cold, sticky blood nestled in his hand.

"Shit!", he cursed and jumped up.

Breathing hastily, you jumped around a corner, your eyes fixed onto the red trail that was grinding you through the corridors.

Your body was shaking.

From afar you could see Abby bracing herself against a door and slipping into the room.

With full force you threw yourself against it before she could turn the key.

Gasping, she fell to the ground, a scream leaving her lips. Blood splattered. Fidgeting with her legs, she crawled across the room, over to a stack of crates, and hid. Her gasping breath filled the air like a melody of death and fear.

Carefully, you let your eyes wander around the room.

It was a storage room of sorts, crammed with crates, barrels, and shelves full of medical equipment.

Your hand tried to reach for the knife, but it was gone.

"Shit!", cursing, you knelt behind a crate and glanced around the corner.

Abby had retreated further. Breathing heavily, she looked at you, one hand pressed to the wound on her arm.

"I hate you...", she hissed, pointing a screwdriver at you. "I will kill you."

Amused, you laughed.

"You run away quite often for that.", you grabbed a hammer that was lying under a shelf in a toolbox. "Come on, Abby. Let's finish this."

Her eyes jumped to the side. Hastily she rose and disappeared behind a shelf.

Frowning, you followed her, but stopped abruptly as your eyes fell on a head of dark brown hair.

With a threatening expression, she pressed the tip of the screwdriver to Ellie's neck. The soft skin was already straining, the metal threatening to dig in and cut the veins.

Ellie's eyes were shut tight, her head hung low and her limbs were limp.

You couldn't tell for sure if she was stunned or dead. You stopped.

"Abby.", your voice had a warning undertone. "Don't do anything you'll regret."

She gritted her teeth angrily. Her breathing was heavy and she could barely stand on her feet. Her whole body was covered with blood.

"That's why you're here, isn't it?", she asked. "One step closer and she's dead."

You raised a hand as if the gesture could appease her.

"Joel is here because of her.", you took a careful step towards her. "Her death will not save you."

"I'm going to die anyway! So why shouldn't I take her with me?"

"Because otherwise I'll burn everything down.", Joel's voice sounded behind you.

Without taking your eyes off Abby, you reached out your hand.

He understood the request without words, reached into his pocket and pressed two knifes into your palm. His own and yours.

With the revolver raised, he stood next to you.

Unnoticed, you let your knife slide into your back pocket.

"I gave you a promise, but if she doesn't let go of Ellie, I'll shoot her.", he threatened in your direction.

You nodded and used the moment of her carelessness to take another step towards her. The handle of the knife danced in your hand.

Your fingers twitched. It felt like your body was yearning to kill her.

"Joel.", your eyes were fixed on her as you approached him. "I'll buy you some time. Take Ellie and go out the back door."

"No one is leaving!", Abby yelled, putting more pressure on Ellie's neck.

The delicate skin broke, thin threads of blood dripped out.

"Abby!", you raised your hands to show her you weren't going to attack. "Let her go."

"And what do I get out of it?! She is my father's legacy! She could have changed everything, we need her."

You shook your head and put the knife down on the tabletop.

Confused, she looked at the blade.

"You need her immunity, not her.", you took a step back, hands raised placatingly. "Let's swap. Take me. Just as you had planned all those years ago."

Suddenly surprise appeared on her face. For a moment she hesitated, the pressure on Ellie's neck fading.

"How do I know you're still immune?", she asked.

Slowly you grabbed your leg and pulled your pants up a bit.

"I was bitten yesterday."

Upset, Joel gasped.

"That was you?", he asked, stunned. "You said it was an old injury."

"That was a coverup. I could never have told you I was bitten."

"Then... you are the seventh person."

With your lips pressed together, you nodded, not taking your eyes off Abby.

"Abby.", you took a step toward her. "Let her go. This is our problem. Let's keep it between us."