Thirty-Seven

With bated breath, you and Joel crept through the stairwell.

Voices were everywhere, footsteps filled the air like the buzzing of bees.

You cast a quick glance over your shoulder.

Joel's face was as serious as it could be. He was tense too, his shoulders almost shaking.

Any further action could be a risk. No matter what happened, both he and you had to be careful that nothing went wrong. You needed to cover him and at the same time he needed to cover you.

Swallowing hard, you took a deep breath. Then you nodded to him and put the gun away to push the door open.

Bright sunlight flooded your eyes and blinded you for a moment. You raised your hand for protection, but the next moment someone grabbed it. Startled, you flinched, but forced yourself to not draw the gun.

Surprised, you looked into the face of a woman.

She smiled, not at all unkindly, and looked you up and down before turning her attention to Joel.

"You two are new?", she asked, arms resting loosely on her rifle.

Briefly you looked at Joel, but shook your head.

"Been here a few days.", you said, trying to sound as calm as possible.

As long as she did not know you two were intruders, she might not be a threat. The easiest way to make human feel safe was to tell them you were the same.

"Ah.", she nodded, grinning. "That's why you have to guard the tunnels? Curse of the newcomers?"

You laughed, and even Joel managed a half-believable smirk of amusement.

"Quite a hole down there.", he noted, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "But actually, we're not soldiers at all."

Surprised, the woman raised her eyebrows. Her head tilted to the side, again her eyes looked at both of you. Then an expression appeared on her face as if a light had gone on in her head.

"You're not the announced medical unit from the other base, are you?", she asked enthusiastically. "You have been expected for a long time. Especially the old and the children need medical care."

Your lips twitched. If what she said was true, this would be a golden ticket straight to Abby. No one would dare to interfere with doctors. Especially not when they were needed desperately to find a cure.

If they believed you were doctors, then it would be no problem to look around the base freely.

Again, you gifted her a laugh.

"Caught.", grinning, you squinted one eye and rubbed the back of your neck. "I am one, at least. This one is just my husband."

You pointed at Joel. Immediately he understood and offered the woman a hand in greeting.

"Mark.", he introduced himself. "The trophy husband."

He laughed.

With a broad smile on her face, she shook his hand and moved on to shake yours as well.

"Call me Kim.", she said and and pointed to a building supported by tarpaulins and scaffolding made of steel. "The doctors quarters are there. You probably know that already though. But... I see you don't wear your badge."

Clenching your teeth, you nodded.

"Didn't get one yet.", you mumbled, hoping she would buy the lie.

But her eyes narrowed.

"They hand them out right after the arrival."

"We came later.", Joel jumped in. "They did not register us, we are... some sort of special guests."

With even more suspicion shimmering in her eyes, Kim looked at him.

"Special guests?", she asked, her grip tightening on the riffle.

"Abby asked for me.", you quickly said.

Surprised, she hesitated.

"Did she? Abby never asks for anyone."

Laughing, you rolled your eyes.

"I know, she's terrible at asking for help.", you sighed, struck by memories from the past. "But she asked me to come for the old times sake."

"You're friends?"

"We were. But that's a long time ago."

"Then why are you here exactly?", Kim took a step back.

Next to you, Joel moved as well. He was getting impatient, the tension in his shoulder was clearly visible. But he held back, willing to let you have your try at convincing her.

You sighed, flashing her a sad smile.

"Listen, Abby and I have history that makes it impossible to be friends.", you walked around Kim, facing the building she had pointed out earlier. "But I can't deny her my help. She... had a special package with her as she came back... didn't she?"

Raising one eyebrow, Kim nodded hesitantly.

"You know about... the package?", she asked, suddenly very curious.

"I do. We do. And as a doctor Abby asked me to... take care of it. If you know what I mean."

Inhaling sharply, her eyes widened. Quickly, she threw a glance over her shoulder, checking if any curious ears were listening. She leaned towards you. Her voice was barely a whisper.

"So it's true? The rumours I mean...", she asked, holding her breath.

Looking around, you pretended to be concerned.

"I don't know what you heard...", you mumbled. "But don't spread the news too soon. This must be kept as secret as long as possible. I don't know if it will work... It could fail. It could succeed. We will not find out any time soon."

Swallowing hard, Kim nodded and stepped aside.

"Please forgive me, doctor.", she lowered her eyes as if she was talking to a saint. "Abby's at the top of the building."

"Lab area?", you asked, signalising Joel to follow you.

She nodded.

"Yes. You know the way?"

"I do. Am very familiar with it. Don't worry."

You waved her goodbye and escaped as quickly as possible without looking suspicious.

"That was fucking close.", Joel hissed as you guided him through a small street, away from most of the people.

"Too close.", you gasped. "Remember the story. In case we get caught again."

He laughed, halfway amused and halfway terrified it could happen again.

"So, your husband Mark, hm?", he asked with a grin.

You rolled your eyes.

"I had to think fast.", you mumbled, not being able to suppress a grin.

"And the first thing that comes to mind was husband. Interesting."

"Joel!"