17. Heartbeat

My legs gave out, as I fell backwards to the floor.

My eyes clenched shut and I backed away until my back hit the wall. Pulling my knees to my chest, I curled up, my elbows resting on my knees on both sides of my face.

Sobs won't stop escaping my mouth, no matter how much I tried.

Everything got ruined. Everything was taken away.

'Rose will leave too.'

A particularly loud sob echoed in the hallway, along with the same voice muttering things I couldn't comprehend.

Maybe it was telling me to kill myself before I go through the pain of losing someone again.

I barely coped with Dad leaving, I can't deal with Rose leaving me now.

"Levi."

I flinched when I felt hands on my shoulders.

"No no..." I kept repeating in between sobs.

"Levi. Look up. I'm here."

"I don't know what to do!" They cried out after a long moment, during which I tried to back away and make myself invisible.

Another presence near me. I flinched and tried to back away into the wall.

I felt myself being shifted forward and someone sitting behind me, their legs on either side of mine.

'They will hurt you.'

My elbows were pushed away from my face. I kept my eyes clenched shut, while keeping my forehead against my knees.

'Let them hurt you. Maybe you will die in the process.'

I went limp, still keeping my eyes shut but distancing my knees from my chest.

An arm slid under my knees, shifting my feet to the other side of the person's leg.

My fists clenched, bunching the hem of my shirt in it.

"Ssh." My head was pulled by a hand on the side of my face. It rested on a hard surface. I could hear a heartbeat so close. "Calm down, Bunny."

Strong arms wrapped around me and a hand came to rub my back, sliding gently along my spine.

I held onto the forearm that was just before my face, tightly.

I was trembling violently, shaking with every sob that escaped my throat.

"Close your mouth and take a deep breath," Someone whispered in my ear, placing a kiss on my temple. I flinched but they didn't stop and proceeded to run their fingers through my hair.

"Do it, Bunny. It will help," The soothing voice muttered again.

I closed my mouth and took a deep shaky breath, which was interrupted by my own hiccups.

"Good. That's really good. Do it one more time for me."

I nodded slightly, relaxing my head onto the chest, counting the heartbeats in my mind.

I whimpered when they tightened their hold.

"You're doing so good, my love. Keep going."

'My love did so good on her test. I'm so proud of my little heart.'

"I can't," I choked out.

"Yes, you can."

I took a breath in again, feeling the energy drain from me.

I put my hand on the chest, beside my ear, feeling the heart thumping loudly inside.

'Can you feel my heartbeat? There's a big heart and two little hearts inside. They beat together. That's why it's so loud.'