First time flying

A few weeks later, after a lot more planning and preparing, its the night before they leave for Italy.

Maya is nervously checking that they have everything packed for the millionth time when Carina walks over to her
"Bambina, we have everything, we have triple checked that we have everything" Carina says as she leans over to hug Maya from behind. "We have an early flight, we should go to bed. Do you want to shower and everything now so you don't have to get up as early tomorrow?"

"I know. Ok, are you going to shower with me?" Maya asks
"Hmm... Maybe" Carina teases, letting go of Maya and walking into their room. Maya follows her.

After they shower and dry off Maya lays on their bed while Carina grabs all the supplies to change her ostomy bag and put in a new catheter. Carina takes off her old bag and cleans her skin around her stoma, letting it dry before using a skin barrier wipe and putting on some stoma powder and finally sticking the new bag on.

"Ok, that's done. Now I'm going to change your catheter so we don't have to do that while were away" Carina says as she throws out the supplies she's already used.
"Ok. Sorry I can't do this stuff myself" Maya replies
"I am perfectly fine with doing it for you, you do as much as you can and I don't mind helping. It's not gross, it keeps you healthy" Carina tells her, they have this conversation frequently. "I know you want to be independent, you have an appointment when we get back and we can ask your doctors about it then, ok?"
"Ya, thanks"

Once Carina's changed the catheter she passes Maya her pyjamas then gets herself ready for bed while Maya adjusts the bed to sit up and wrestles her pyjama pants onto her legs then Carina helps her lean forward and balance while she puts her shirt on. Once they're both ready Maya lays down and Carina helps her position herself and put her braces on her hands that stretch her fingers out overnight before getting in bed with her.

They're alarm went off at 5am, they had to leave by 6:30 to get to the airport.
"Good morning" Maya says when Carina turns the alarm off, throwing her arm behind her to roll onto her back since she's positioned facing away from Carina.
"Early" Carina mumbles, turning the hide her face in her pillow

After a few minutes Maya convinces Carina to get up. Carina gets up and grabs Maya's clothes and some supplies before removing her braces, pulling the covers off of her and moving all the positioning pillows so she can lay on her back. She disconnects her catheter from the night bag and attaches it to a leg bag, changes her pants and helps her sit up. Usually Maya does a lot of that herself but they chose sleep over independence this morning since it takes a lot longer for Maya to do everything. Once Maya's sitting on the edge of the bed Carina starts getting herself ready while Maya transfers to her chair and then changes her shirt. Once they're both ready they go have breakfast and find Andy who's driving them to the airport so they don't have to worry about parking or a cab.

When they got to the airport Andy went with them until they dropped off their bags then they said goodbye and she left. They finished getting checked in and figured out where they needed to go. They found a bathroom then headed to the part Maya was most nervous about. Security.

Someone directed them to a separate line, once it was their turn they put all their stuff on the x-ray belt, except Maya didn't have to remove her shoes since it's hard for her. Carina went through the metal detector first then they let Maya go around and leading her to the side, out of the way. They explained how they were going to do a pat down since she can't go through the metal detectors. They asked if she wanted to stay there or go to a private screening room. Maya chose the private screening, people were already staring and she didn't want everyone to be able to watch. So they had to wait for a while then 2 security people brought her to a small room, Carina got to come with her.