Airport struggles

The last few days of their trip were quiet, Maya still not feeling great so they didn't do any big things. Now they had to get to the airport early to fly home. When their alarm went off at 4am Carina turned it off quickly, got herself dressed and got everything ready to get Maya up, wanting to let her sleep as much as possible knowing from the flight to Italy that it was going to be a hard day for her. Once she'd done as much as she could without waking her, she woke Maya up and helped her get ready. They had breakfast before grabbing all their bags and heading outside, they had booked a wheelchair cab ahead of time so that it would be faster and easier to get to the airport. At the airport they got through security slightly easier now that they knew what to expect and headed to their gate, they checked in with a flight attendant who seemed a bit confused but said they would board first so they went and found somewhere to sit and wait. Carina convinced Maya to take her meds before the flight this time since she had been very spastic and in pain on the flight there and wasn't feeling well to begin with.

When they called for pre-boarding they headed to the plane along with some other people and found no aisle chair. When they asked to person they'd talked to already he had no idea what they were talking about.

"How do you expect me to get on the plane?" Maya asks

The man didn't have an answer and looked lost before saying he'd call someone else to come help. The new person knew what they were talking about but they didn't have an aisle chair at this gate. So they let the other people there for priority boarding onto the plane while someone went to look for an aisle chair. Maya's the only person in a wheelchair other than an elderly man using an airport wheelchair who walked onto the plane so she was to only one stuck.

"Great start to the trip" Maya grumbles

"I'm sure they'll figure it out, we just have to wait a bit. And if they can't find one we can always carry you onto the plane" Carina tells her.

"Strangers helping transfer me and strangers carrying me onto a plane are very different. I can't catch myself if people drop me."

"I know, sorry. We know there is at least one aisle chair in this airport because you used one when we got here, they just have to find it."

They starting boarding other groups while Maya and Carina were still waiting. Eventually someone found an aisle chair and Maya got on the plane, she hated the fact that there were already a lot of people on the plane watching her getting lifted by 2 people as her body stayed limp. Once she was in the seat the flight attendants left with the aisle chair and Carina positioned her. After that the flight went ok, Maya was still not comfortable but taking meds ahead of time helped.

They didn't have any issues getting off the plane, as soon as the rest of the passengers got off flight attendants brought an aisle chair in and helped get her out but once they got out of the plane they discovered another issue.

"Where's my chair?" Maya asked when was brought off the plane. After every other flight on this trip her chair had been waiting right outside the plane when she got off.

The flight attendants looked at each other, none of them knowing the answer. "I will go find out" one of them said, walking away.

It was a long time before someone returned, Maya being stuck in the aisle chair the whole time.

"Hello, there was a miscommunication with the airport staff. Your wheelchair was loaded onto your next plane instead of being brought to the gate" a new person said as they walked up to them.

"Then how am I supposed to get to the next plane?" Maya says, clearly annoyed. "It's not like I can just walk there!"

"We will get a wheelchair for you to use" the person says, but no one had thought of that ahead of time so they had to wait again while someone went to get an airport wheelchair.