{Chapter Thirty-Two}

Standing on the very edge of the platform, while the light drizzle fell onto two figures that stood silently as they stared at the gleaming scarlet steam engine. The King's Cross was empty without another soul to be seen. Paired with the gloomy weather of the early morning, it created an eerie atmosphere.

The smell of wet cement filled the air, as the soft pitter-patter of water foreshadowed the harsh showers of rain that was to come. It was deathly quiet at the King's Cross, so much so that Hera could almost hear each thumping of her heart, hidden behind the confines it's skeletal jail.

The tiny droplets of water clung onto dark dark curls of the young girl that had her hands shoved deep into the pockets of her coat, whilst the older woman, dressed lavishly in a deep red leather coat held an umbrella over her own head.

Cassiopeia-Hera leaned against her trunk, using it to support herself whilst she patiently waited to access the train. It was strange seeing it without the usual crowd of over-excited students and

It was silent between the two, as they wordlessly stared at the Hogwarts Express.

Craning her neck to admire the grey sky, feeling the droplets decorated the frame of her skin, the slight pitter-patter keeping her awake. Closing her eyes, she allowed herself to enjoy the sensation that gently caressed her face.

"Is there a specific reason that you requested arriving here so early in the morning?" Yvonne asked, as she exhaled a cloud of smoke from her red-coloured lips.

"Do I need a reason?" Hera responded.

Throwing the cigarette butt down onto the grown and using the flat of her heeled-boots to flatten it further into the ground. "Yes, you do. You could've come here with the Malfoy boy, yet Lucius told me that you requested to be here first thing in the morning."

After having spent sleepless nights after the events at the Quidditch World Cup, the young witch found it hard to stay at home. Sometimes, she'd wake up (if she even managed to fall asleep) in the dead of the night in a cold sweat, the screams still ringing in her ears. The smell of smoke still lingered in the air, reminding her of what she had done.

Taunting her.

She was slowly losing her mind.

After mustering enough confidence to ask her Uncle Lucius for permission, she approached him fully expecting that he'd reject her request. He didn't even think twice when he told her, "Whatever you want, Cassiopeia." In that cold tone of his, yet she took that as permission to leave for the Hogwarts Express early.

Perhaps it was his own way of rewarding her.

This was how Yvonne found herself chaperoning Cassiopeia-Hera to the King's Cross, and she didn't seem to be too thrilled about it.

Yvonne huffed, and switched the umbrella from one hand to another. "Then since we are here, I might as well brief you." She started, speaking lowly as she handed Hera an envelope. "As soon as you get to Hogwarts, make sure you burn it after reading this. Your next task is enclosed."

Without saying a word to the older woman, she pocketed the envelope in the pocket of her thick coat. The sound of the trains engine starting up alerted her. "It's best I go now."

Yvonne didn't think twice before walking away, her heels clicking on the surface of the platform and blinking away, all traces of her presence was nowhere to be found.

It was only time before the others were to find themselves on Platform 9¾, so she had to board the train as soon as possible. Lugging her luggage behind her, she boarded the train. Oblivious to the figure that watched her from afar.

She walked past the Trolley Witch who paid her no attention, as she rolled the trolley filled to the brim with all sorts of candies. Her stomach grumbled at the enticing smell of the pumpkin pasties, reminding her that she had yet to have breakfast.

Hera finally found a compartment towards the very end of the train, making sure to ignore the compartments that the higher grades and prefects were going to be occupying.

After putting away her trunk, she flopped down onto the seat, closest to the window, to find that the platform was now filling up with students and their families, saying their final goodbyes before leaving to Hogwarts.

In a way, she envied them.

They all looked so happy, some frustrated that their overbearing mothers were smothering them with tight hugs and pecks all over their faces. The fathers awkwardly standing by before eventually giving in and squeezing them in their large arms.

Never had she experienced such affection from either her aunt and uncle.

Looking away, she slumped in her seat as the messy curls hid her face from those who peered into the compartment, searching for places to sit. Hera closed her eyes, hoping that she could replenish the energy she'd lost from all the sleepless nights, but the constant chattering of her fellow students kept ringing in her ears.

The sound of the compartment door opening alerted her. Her head immediately snapped up, still, her dark curls still framing half of her face, her view of the newcomers was obstructed.

"Oh! Didn't realise someone was already here." Came a voice.

Hera peered through her curls, only to find the Patil twins and Lavender Brown standing at the compartment's door. She'd never spoken to the trio before, aside from sharing a few classes with each other, this was their first interaction.

She didn't even bother knowing each of the Patil twins' names since they looked so much like each other. All she knew was that one was in Ravenclaw and the other was in Gryffindor, best friends with 'Loud mouth Lavender' who often clashed with Elena, her own best friend.

I wonder where she is...

"Do you mind if we sit here?" She couldn't object since they had already entered, making themselves comfortable on the seats, putting their belonging up into the belongings compartment.

Frozen, as if she'd been caught, all Hera could do was nod slowly before shrinking further into the corner she sat in. The three girls were loudly talking to each other, talking about the events of their summer holidays, completely ignoring the girl who was shoved into the corner, hiding behind her curls.

It completely shocked Hera.

They didn't recognise who she was, especially since her curls were back, no one besides her family and her dormmates knew about it. Even her birthmark was barely visible. She didn’t dare look up, fearing that they'd runaway as soon as they realised it was her.

Cassiopeia-Hera Lestrange.

One of the twins sat beside her while the other and Lavender sat opposite them both. Silently, she was cursing herself, almost regretting the fact that she didn't choose to find Elena, who would've made her feel much more comfortable than having to sit cramped. She rather listen to Elena gossip than to hear Lavendar gossip.

Letting out a soft sigh, Hera closed her eyes and leaned against the wall, facing away from the trio so they wouldn't see her face.

It was going to be a very long ride.