{Chapter Twelve}

Hera sat in the charmed marble pavilion that stood prominent in the garden Malfoy estate, surrounded by wilted and unblooming flowers that were due to sprout in spring. White snow blanketed the environment as light snowflakes fell slowly onto the ground. The Greengrass family had arrived earlier and she was clearly bored out of her mind. She barely paid attention to the conversations taking place around since no one was talking to her.

They all sat around the large mahogany table that stood in the middle of the pavillion. It was decorated with assorted sweet savouries and, of course, hot beverages served by the house elves around the table. Narcissa had spent days decorating and organising this specific meeting just to impress the Greengrass'. Anything to get their approval.

Draco had sparked a conversation with Troy, on the topic of quidditch and the two Greengrass sisters, Daphne and Astoria, were having their own whispering banter. The adults were talking about the recent events with the ministry so that barely interested her as she looked out to the gardenscape admiring the light snowfall.

"Cassiopeia," Came Uncle Lucius' voice. Hera looked away from the garden and at her uncle, noticing that everyone had their eyes on her. A slight blush formed on her cheeks in embarrassment. "Yes, uncle?"

"Why don't you and Draco show the Greengrass' around, hm? We have matters to discuss." Lucius' eyes pointed to the couple that sat near him around the table. Hera didn't question her blonde-haired uncle and got up, Draco, Troy, Daphne and Astoria joined her as she left the pavillion and into the Malfoy Manor.

It seemed to be awkward as the children walked into the house, seeing as the two families never really communicated with each other besides small talk at gatherings. So it was no surprised that there was a thick coat of awkwardness amongst the five children.

Hera led them inside, all of them sighing from the warm air that the large home greeted them with, even though it's architectural design was somewhat cold and regal. She looked to Draco, her eyes begging for him to take over the tour, seeing as she never really enjoyed talking to strangers. It was always the case when Hera and Draco were with other people. Draco was always more talkative and enjoyed playing the dominant role out of the two, and Hera didn't mind at all. After all, it's what she was raised to be.

Draco cleared his throat, calling for the attention of the Greengrass'. Three heads of thick brown hair turned towards Draco, almost overwhelming him with the attention. He regained his composure as he lead the group on the tour, Hera, trailing behind the three siblings.

The two Greengrass girls, were in awe of the large but intimidating structure of the home. The home was designed to show power and wealth, two qualities that the Malfoy's enjoyed greatly. It was the Greengrass boy that fell back, walking in step with the curly-haired girl.

The thought of two young children, at the age of eleven becoming betrothed to one another was a strange scenario but not rare. Hera did not know what to make of the situation but nod her head and obey her aunt and uncle that her parents have entrusted her with. They were the ones who took her in, so she wouldn't go against the wishes of her caretakers. The only parent figures that she has known all her life. After all, she was taught to be a respectable young lady, her sessions with her aunt were long and gruelling, her knuckles would be red at the end of each hour spent learning ladylike manners. It was the first time Narcissa had ever lain a hand on her niece, and surely it was not the last.

Often she would think of how her life would be if she had her actual parents raising her instead of Narcissa and Lucius. Narcissa, before, had treated Hera like her own daughter, but it was Lucius who had made her seem like a stranger rather than family. She would often come up with scenarios of how perfect life would be to have a loving father and mother who'd care about her well-being and teach her things like how to ride a broom. But she did not know.

As Troy walked beside Hera, the both of them following Draco and the two girls, an awkward silence fell amongst the two children. Hera fiddled with her woollen beige jumper, not knowing what to say to the curly haired boy next to her.

"I just-" "Hera, I-"

They both started but quickly stopped. Colour flooded to both their cheeks and Cassiopeia smiled sheepishly. "You first."

"Isn't it supposed to be ladies first?" Troy joked, scratching the back of his head.

"If you insist," Hera gave the boy a side glance. "I just wanted to thank you for that day in the library. I'm not usually so clumsy."

At this point in their conversation, they both stopped in the middle of the hallway, where portraits of passed family members from the Malfoy bloodline hung on the walls. Curious eyes peered to the two young children, eavesdropping as they had nothing better to do. Hera caught them, as they pretended to look elsewhere, she narrowed her eyes.

She had also realised that her cousin had continued on around the house without her and Troy, he probably went to go impress Astoria and Daphne by showing them many of expensive toys he had gotten from Diagon Alley.

Without thinking much of it, Hera grabbed Troy's hand and led him to one of the more secluded sitting rooms in her large home, away from the prying eyes of her cousin's ancestors. In fact, it was one of her most favourite places to be as it contained a small fireplace and seemed more home-ly than the rest of the house to her. Rather than the casual marble and stone design of the Malfoy mansion, this room was smaller and made from wood, with plush furnishings made from rich leather. Besides the fact it was so warm and welcoming, it was also one of the least used rooms in the large manor. Hera had dubbed this room her domain as she would do most of her reading and had her tutoring lessons in the very room.

"I'm sorry, they're just very nosey." Hera apologised as she gestured for Troy to have a seat on the leather couch. "But I wanted to thank you for that day in the library, I didn't get a chance to get to thank you before and -"

"You're welcome," Troy interrupted, the sides of his eyes wrinkled as he smiled, "You don't have to keep thanking me, it's the reason your aunt and uncle invited my family over, isn't it?"

"Pardon?"

"Your aunt and uncle invited my parents, sisters and I for tea to express your gratitude?" He seemed confused, his thick brown eyebrows furrowed. "I doubt there is any other reason, seeing that our mothers do not talk a lot."

Then it suddenly dawned upon Hera, like a bucket of cold water being thrown over her head. Troy didn't know. He didn't know about the betrothal at all. A feeling of relief filled Hera's core. No longer did she have to awkward around Troy, and maybe she could get to know him better before he was informed about the betrothal. It gave her a chance to, maybe, fall in love with the curly-haired boy that sat in front of her.