A Little Mermaid - Chapter 9

"Thanks Gray," I say while wiping my mouth with a napkin.
"For?" He says stacking the dirty plates,
"For such a wonderful night."
"O-oh, no problem. I liked hanging out with you. And about Juvia...Stay away from her. I care about her; she's my guild mate and all, but something seems off about her." He says. "Well, the girls say she's in love with you, I don't want to come between you guys relationship." I respond feeling a bit flustered. Gray went red,
"I-I hav-Have no relationship with her." He said defensively.
"R-right!" I respond awkwardly. We stared at each other.
"Anyway, it's late. I'll walk you home." He said.

After Gray paid the bill, we started walking to Lucy's apartment. It was nothing but silence, and I liked it. It was a nice, peaceful night, the moon was shining high above us, the stars twinkling, and the winter/spring breeze made me feel so relaxed. But I sighed after I realized, tomorrow would be the 4th day. With each second I was getting closer to the end, and I barley made any progress.

"Nice night, huh." Gray said closing his eyes, still walking.
"Yeah..." I say. Then I heard something, like a mumble, but when I looked back, no one was there.
"Something wrong?" Gray said looking behind him, confused.
"N-no...must be imaging things." I say assuring myself no one would be out this time of night. But why do I feel like something is following us?
"So when are you gonna join the guild?" Gray's sudden question made me forget about the noises behind us.
"Honestly...I'd love to, but I'm not a wizard." I say disappointed.
"We can change that."
"What are you-..?"
"Tomorrow, meet me at the guild, at 3 pm. Bye!" He said, I didn't get any time to react, or even agree to what he said, since we were at the apartment and Gray suddenly took off.
"Bye..?" I say confused about what just happened.

When I entered Lucy's apartment, she was already asleep. I look at the clock and realize it's 11 at night.
"No wonder she's asleep." I whisper and smile to myself. I walk over to Lucy, give her a quick kiss on the head and head to the bathroom. I wash off all the make-up and get dressed in the pajamas Lucy let me borrow and head off to bed. I tuck myself on the side Lucy wasn't sleeping on, and tried to go to sleep, but couldn't. I kept replaying the date in my head, over and over again. Somehow I managed to go to sleep...my last thoughts were of Gray.

Agatha walked up to (Y/N) and stared at her sleeping face. Suddenly memories of her past kept flashing. Agatha smiles at her for she saw what (Y/N)'s mother couldn't.

-Flash back-

"Christina you have a child, a husband- a life! Are you willing to leave all that behind for your stupid fantasy!" Agatha yelled to her friend. "Agatha, I know what I'm leaving. Just as much as you knew what you where leaving behind, the moment your cowardice took over and you left your kingdom to fend for itself!" (Y/N)'s mother responded. Agatha stiffened at her comment.
"Look, Aggie-"
"Chris don't call me that." Agatha said, for Sophie used to address Agatha by that name. "Agatha, my daughter has a future, but not here, up there." Christina said pointing to the land above her. "Listen. I haven't been there for my daughter, and I never will be. I love her with all my heart, but I need to let her go. I'm doing the right thing. I need to follow my dream; it's my Ending to my Fairy Tale!" Agatha didn't say anything.

"You see, the longer I stay here, the longer I fall into misery. The same with (Y/N). Once she grows older, she'll understand, that to find happiness, sometimes means letting go of the people you love..." Christina's eyes started to water.
"This is hard... Very hard, but I'm not happy here Aggie...You're my only friend, you of all people know how it is to choose the wrong ending. But I won't leave my daughter alone, which is why, I need you to be there, protect her, watch her grow up for me. Please Aggie..." Agatha stared at her friend, and thought hard.
"Christina... If this is what you really want, the least I can do is live out your last wish. Okay, I'll do it. I'll be there for your daughter. Now, drink this potion..."

And indeed, Agatha watched (Y/N) grow into the young woman she is. From the teacher incident, to the baker, all her parties, she was there, lurking in the shadows.

She became her mother.

-end-

Agatha looked at the girl she spent her whole life guarding . She quickly wiped her tears. For now she didn't think of (Y/N) as Christina's daughter. Oh no, she thought of (Y/N) as her own. The daughter she always wanted, but never could get. She placed her soft lips on (Y/N)'s head and whispered,

"Goodnight, my little mermaid..." And she was gone.

--Video is the book trailer for the 2nd book of the 'School For Good And Evil' series.--