Private Nurse

"You might want to consider getting a private nurse to take care of you while your stituation is still serious." Ethan's big sister Stephanie told him while they were having dinner. Ethan can hardly walk and unable to carry himself without someone's help. His wounds were still fresh. It might take a little longer for him to get back on track.

"Karen and I will move in so that I can take care of you when I'm home."

Karen is Stephanie's daughter who's in her senior year in college taking up Business and Finance.

"I think there's no need for a private nurse really. I've asked Paula if I can call her for help anytime when you're not home and she already agreed. Carla can be of help too. She's mostly at home as she is only taking review class this time. " Ethan told Stephanie.

"Well, we can't always ask Paula around. She might also be busy sometimes. Plus Lyka also needs her help on her studies. It's also hard for them both since her husband died last year." Stephanie replied.

"Let's see how it goes then. As of now I might consider cutting down my expenses as well. So hiring a private nurse might be put aside for the moment."

------

Monday afternoon.

Ethan messaged Paula if she's free and can come over. His big sister Stephanie will be home late and he needed her to cook dinner for everyone.

The door bell rung.

"Can someone open the door please. Carla, Karen, are you there? Ethan called out.

"Yes dad I'm here." Carla was running toward the door. "Who could this be?"

"That's Aunt Paula. I asked her over for help."

"Please come in Auntie." Carla welcomed Paula as she opened the door for her then went back to her room.

"What's up? How are you feeling?" Paula asked Ethan as she entered his house and saw him sitting on the sofa.

"Still having a hard time." He replied.

"Do you want to rest in your room while I cook dinner? I'll help you." Paula asked Ethan.

"I'm okay. I'll stay here and watch TV." He told her.

Paula checked his fridge for possible ingredients. She has no idea what to cook. She saw mushrooms and some chicken. "Ahhh, perfect for tomyum soup." She mumbled.

She hurriedly prepared all the ingredients and walla, dinner is done. She also made some chicken pepper steak.

In few minutes, she called everybody for dinner.

"Karen, can you go get Lyka for dinner." Ethan said while Carla went to wash her hands.

Paula went to help Ethan stand and walk to the dinning hall. Karen and Lyka came just as Paula finished assisting Ethan to sit.

"What time will your mom arrive Karen?" Paula asked.

"I'm not sure maybe about an hour from now. She said she'll be late for a meeting over dinner." Karen replied.

"I see. She'll be tired by then." Said Paula.

"Did you really cook these auntie? Taste like they're from a high end restaurant." Carla commented as she took her share.

Everyone laughed at his comment.

"I might ask you to come every night if that's the case. But seriously, they taste perfect." Ethan said.

Everyone laughed one more time as they continue eating and enjoyed their dinner.

Karen and Lyka tidied the dining hall after dinner while Carla went back straight to her room.

Paula assisted Ethan back to his room so that he can rest.

"Do you need anything else?" She asked Ethan while he's seated on his bed.

"No, I just need to use the bathroom. Do you mind?" He said.

"No, I don't mind. Come I'll help you." She said while she's taking him to the bathroom.

He called her out again after doing his business and brushing his teeth.

While sitting on his bed, he was hesitant to tell her he needed more of her help. He can't take full shower yet so he needs her help for bed bath and wound dressing.

"I'm sorry Paula. Can I not be shy with you anymore, please? I have no choice, really."

"Go ahead, tell me. What is it that you need help with?"

"The stuff are on the counter in the bathroom. And my clothes are there." He said pointing at the closet.

"Ahhmmm seriously?" Paula was hesitant. She wasn't sure if it was okay for her to do it or not.

"If you're not comfortable, it's totally fine with me. Please, I'm so sorry." Ethan said but Paula already grabbed the sponge and towel for his bedbath. She also took some clothes for him from the closet.

He was also a bit unsure but he has no choice but to do it with her help. Without saying a word, Paula started bathing him. She did his face first then his arms. Next she did his neck then his chest and down his lower body and legs until she finished even his back.

She hurriedly clothed him so that she can dress his wound. Then she put him inside the quilt, adjusted the airconditioner and put him to sleep.

Without delay, he quickly fell asleep not even able to thank her for tonight's help. She watched him a little longer and left.

Lyka went back ahead of her and probably was already in bed too. In her bedroom before she felt sleepy, she recalled what had just happened and she could hardly believe she was doing it. They've been friends for a long time. Both her family and his had been together in many different events and ocassions. Ethan was a close friend of her husband too. Ethan was always the first one they can call for help should a need arise. They're not strangers to each other but just a while ago, she was feeling like it was the first time they've met. She was feeling estranged. Maybe because it was their first time being alone together in that kind of situation. These thoughts stayed in her mind until she fell asleep.

From that time on, Paula and Lyka frequently stay in Ethan's house. They became a regular and they treated each other like a family. Sometimes Paula would come home directly to Ethan's house because she's worried he might have been needing help for a long time.