Heartbeat

Paula assisted Ethan so that he can get in the car easily. It was the day he was discharged from the hospital.

"What about I order food delivery for our dinner today? Would be nice to do once in a while yah?" Paula suggested.

"Yeah I agree. I missed eating my favorite mushroom burger." Ethan agreed.

"Yeah same here."

As they reached the house carpark, Paula immediately went out to help Ethan climb down the car. They then walk into the inside of the condo.

"Would you mind if I'll wait for dinner in your place?"

"Yeah."

Ethan was a bit shocked. He looked at her while she's holding her laugh. Then Ethan knew she was kidding.

"Why, you don't want me around? How sad."

"Hahaha. Come and stay in my place any time boss. You are always welcome."

Both of them laugh together.

As they reached her place, Paula called Lyka if she's home. She saw Evans in the living room.

"Hello Auntie. Oh, uncle is here too. I'm glad you're already out uncle."

"Where's Lyka." Paula asked Evans.

"She's in her room auntie. We are about to leave for dinner outside."

"I'm ordering food delivery for dinner. Why don't you guys join us."

"Mom, it would be really nice but we're in a hurry to meet up with our friend whose leaving to study abroad. Sorry mom. We have to go. Bye mom. Bye uncle."

"Bye Auntie and uncle." Evans said as he followed Lyka on her way out of the house.

Ethan followed them.
"Let me go back quickly and tell everyone to come have dinner with us."

When he reached his unit, he was surprised that no one's home. Oh, he forgot that Carla was in her school trip that's why she wasn't able to visit him in the hospital. And Karen and Stephanie were together in their hometown to meet with Karen's dad's family.

He quickly took shower to refresh himself from the smell of the hospital then went back to Paula's place.

"Have you ordered food already? You must order enough for both of us only as they are not home yet. No one's home yet."

"Seriously? I already ordered for them too. Don't worry let's just save whatever is left for tomorrow then."

He was behind Paula in the kitchen. So when Paula turned to face him, they were too close to each other that their faces met and Paula almost fall down but Ethan was too quick to grab a hold on her.

Ethan slowly bent his face down to Paula's and slowly touched his lips on hers. When Paula did not resist, Ethan held her face steady so that he could kiss her. Paula slightly dropped her jaw so that her mouth opens up and she could kiss him back.

Ethan was surprised that she kissed him back. Does this mean she's willing to be mine? He thought.

"Paula." He whispered as he placed his forehead on hers. "Will you be mine? Huh?"

Paula nodded as she raised her face to kiss him again. Ethan pulled her so that she leaned against the fridge. He then held her upper right neck and gently caress her cheek with his thumb as he slowly lowered his face so that his lips touches hers again. That kiss was long. Full of emotions.

The door bell rang and they're sure it was the food delivery. And yeah, it was quick. Paula set the table for their dinner and both of them sat facing each other.

Ethan couldn't take his eyes off Paula while she's trying to avoid meeting with his eyes.

"Hmmm I also missed eating this. Can't remember when was the last time." Paula uttered and when she looked at him, he was still staring at her.

"Stop staring. You're melting me."

"I'm glad I have you Paula. Thanks for everything."

"This is not for free, you have to pay me for this."

"Yeah, I'm willing to pay everything with my life."

"Whoah! That's big."

"Why, don't you like it? Okay I'm taking it back."

"No, no, no. You can't take back what you've offered already. Hahaha. Just stay okay? Stay with me for a long time."

"Hahaha. Promise I'll stay with you for a very long time."

He took Paula's hand and pulled her to him so that she could sit on his lap. He then hugged her tight.

"Can I kiss you again?" He whispered as he slowly bent down to kiss her. "Can we spend the night together?" He whispered again as he stood up and carried Paula to her bedroom.

Paula did not resist. She's thinking, maybe it's alright if he'll take care of her and protect her. Yeah, she's fine with it.

The night was long. It was spent with the person she was protecting. The person who is now protecting her. How unexpected the turn of events were. They were just once friends, each with their own families. Who would expect they will end up together?

The End.