6.Jeff

Don't Stand So Close To Me // The Police

"Grab some water and hit the showers. Tonight's practice starts at six. Not a minute later." Coach dismisses us, turning to his assistant coaches, checking clipboards and mumbling about their notes from this morning.

The last few weeks have been non-eventful. Coach hasn't acknowledged me in any way other than as a freshman on the team. He certainly isn't giving me preferential treatment, but he's not riding me either. I guess I can't complain. I thought it would be more strained between us, more obvious that something was going on. But nothing.

Maybe we can pull this off. After a month or so, if I make my relationship with Alison public, I can prove that it isn't a big deal because Coach hasn't acted any differently toward me. If I can get to know these guys outside of practice, outside of the team, they'll see that I'm a straight up guy, no bullshit. They'll know I'm really with her because I want to be and not for any player perks by getting in with her dad.

I might be the first guy in college football history to date the coach's daughter without any negative results.

I follow the team into the locker room after we've gulped down our required water. Matt is practically skipping to leave. He must be meeting up with Hannah. We all just moved into the dorms and he's spent all of his free time at hers. Not that I can talk because every spare second I have is spent at Alison's place. It helps that she's in the next town over. No one sees me coming and going from her apartment every chance I get. Easier to keep things from getting out in public when she's so far from school.

"Hey!" I call to Matt as he opens his locker. "Are you grabbing food on campus or heading out?"

"Hannah and I are taking food back to her room." Matt smiles, something he does all the time now. I don't even think he realizes he's doing it.

"Figured." I wish there was enough time for me to go all the way out to Alison's before tonight's practice. Two a days are killing my time with her, but I knew that would happen.

"I'll catch up with you later." Matt rushes to shower, clearly in a hurry to see his girl.

I know the feeling.

Micah and Gio are both already gone. I haven't been hanging out with them either, but that's on me. They invite me out all the time. I say no because I want to give my time to Alison, and there isn't much of it to give.

I take my time to shower and dress, knowing I can't talk to Alison even if I wanted to. She's working all day then meeting up with her mentor for some final touches on their latest project. I won't even be able to talk to her until late tonight. If I haven't passed out from exhaustion.

I'm tying my shoes when the starting quarterback, Reign Benson, sits on the bench next to me. The guy is built like a truck. Red hair to boot, freckles dotting pale skin. His eyelashes are so light they're almost invisible. But he's a scary guy based on muscle alone.

"Jeff, right?" He reaches out to shake my hand.

"Yeah." I grip his a little harder than I intend. I watch him smirk as I do it. Now I feel like a shit.

"Good practice today. I like how you anticipate my arm."

Suddenly I'm nervous. He's been watching me closer than I realized. I also recognize this as an opportunity, not for football, but for him to see what kind of guy I am. That I'm not moving in on Coach to get more time on the field.

"Thanks. Matt and I have been teammates for years. He's really the reason I've got those instincts. Catching for him has drilled it into me." Matt's a hardass on the field. I had to step up or look like an idiot.