9.Alison

Lonely Day // System of a Down

"Ghosted. I can't believe it." Misty kicks her feet up on the arm of my couch and grabs a handful of popcorn. "I didn't see that coming."

"Me neither." I've been wallowing for a few days now. After trying to contact Jeff more times than I should have, I gave up. He never clarified or said anything else. Just...gone.

"All that dad stuff. And coming by to surprise you. I can't believe one covert mission to spy on him drove him away." Misty continues to nosh on the popcorn while I have zero appetite.

Part of me wonders if he was just in it to score and when that didn't happen, he bolted.

But the other part of me doesn't buy it because it's not like he even tried to get in my pants. Jeff kept things surprisingly PG.

"I don't think I'll ever understand it." I'm lying on the floor next to the couch. Misty keeps trying to drop popcorn into my mouth so I'll eat something. Food sounds horrendous. I can't.

"I went to the game last night." I confess. Not my best moment but I was there to support my dad. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

"Ugh. That must have sucked."

"It really did. And the game was a bloodbath."

"Wait, literally? Were there injuries?"

I think back to what I witnessed from the press box. Normally I sit near the sidelines with my dad so obviously I wasn't going to do that and risk running into Jeff. But from the view I had, I could see pointedly that Jeff was a target. I don't understand why, other than it had something to do with whatever is going on with Reign and that guy, Declan.

"Not that I saw, but the other team was ready to rip out our guys' throats. Especially Jeff's."

"Whoa...he's got a rival team out for him? What gives? Is he a serial ghoster? Is some guy out for revenge for his sister or something?"

I shrug. That would make sense. "No clue. But he's been hanging out with our quarter back, right? And he was all concerned about doing the guy a favor earlier in the week, right before he went on communication lock down. The other week when he and I went for ice cream, we saw the rival player. The guy had a weird reaction to seeing us together. Like a smirk or something. I felt caught. Like a cheater." It still gives me the creeps.

"Okay, and..." Misty rolls her hands for me to continue.

"That was the player after Jeff at the game. It was like he was possessed. Didn't matter where Jeff was, or if he was anywhere near the ball, Declan was on him. Jeff must have been sacked at least ten times before my dad finally pulled him out. I think I saw him get kneed in the stomach, too. I don't know how the refs didn't call a penalty."

"Boys are stupid."

"I'm not arguing."

"I don't understand how they take their aggressions out on each other. Just eat a pint of ice cream, my gosh!"

I sigh. It's filled with all of the angst and emotion that I have. Every ounce. And I'm so tired. I wish I could just sleep until this all went away but I have a job and an internship, and my online courses just started again. I never get a break. Although I'm glad I don't have too much free time. I'd be an even bigger wreck.

"Okay, new plan," Misty says, bringing her legs around and sitting straight up. "Let's party."

"Blech. That sounds worse than food. I'd rather eat than be merry."