13.Alison

Never // Moving Pictures

"Where is he?" Misty busts through the police station door just ahead of me. I tried to catch her or slow her down, but she was on a mission. It's Misty's world and we just live here. I trudge in after her and glance around the entry hallway.

A window opens over a half wall giving a view into the clerical area of the station. It's currently empty, not a cop to be seen, other than the group of people around the bench just inside the door.

Two guys stand against the wall deep in discussion. One is covered in tattoos and a long beard, his hair in some kind of man bun on top. He's menacing with his arms crossed over a leather vest with what looks like the grim reaper stitched on the back. The other guy is quite a bit younger, shorter hair, really handsome in a tough guy way. His head bobs up and down as he listens to whatever the reaper guy is saying.

A couple sits on the bench next to them in absolute juxtaposition to the guys sharing this space. The man, dressed in casual slacks and a polo shirt, has his arm around a gorgeous woman in a soft beige sweater and jeans that probably cost more than my monthly rent. At first, I think they could be pretentious socialites but looking again, I sense a humbleness about them, telling me they aren't. When the guy with the beard and tattoos leans down to talk to them and I watch as they give him rapt attention, I have my answer.

I've also figured out who they are.

"Hi. You must be Jeff's parents," I say, hand extended in greeting.

Jeff's mom stands up and pulls me into a hug.

"You must be Alison. I am so happy to meet you."

I accept her embrace in shock. I had no idea they would know who I was. Jeff had kept me in his pocket for so long I wondered if anyone ever would.

"Yeah, that's me."

"I'm Misty." My friend bounces up and grabs Jeff's mom in a hug. "Best friend and all-around boss girl."

"And bossy," I say with a hip nudge to my goofball friend. Misty rolls her eyes.

"My 'bossiness' is what got the goods, so joke's on you."

I wave her off and turn my attention back to Jeff's entourage. Before I can wonder any longer about who each person is, his mom makes the introductions.

"Alison and Misty, it's so nice to meet you. I'm Jessica, Jeff's mom, and this is Leo, his dad." She presses her hand to Leo's chest as she introduces him. The sparkle in her eyes when she says her husband's name fills me with warmth. I want that. I thought I had it with Jeff.

And with the way his mom is greeting me, I wonder if I still do.

Jessica turns to the gruff men standing beside her. "This is Rob, my best friend's husband," she pats the bearded dude on the arm. His grittiness cools a bit at her touch. "And Brax is his nephew. They've got some background information that's been truly helpful with the case."

I shake my head, confused. "Case? Has Jeff been arrested?"

"Oh, heavens no." Jessica grabs my hand. Reassurance washes over me. "We've made a report, a statement essentially, to kick start the investigation. Jeff isn't being charged."

"Then why is he in jail." Misty's hands are on her hips. "That Kyra girl specifically told us he was in jail."

Jessica shakes her head. "What will I do with her?" The words are muttered. "Prepositions make a difference. Jeff is certainly at the jail, but he's not in jail."

"To be fair, she never said he'd been arrested. Or that he was in jail. I asked where he was when she answered his phone and she said, um...jail." I give Misty the side eye. "We jumped to conclusions."