6.Alison

When You Say Nothing At All // Ronan Keating

I'm decked out in my panda bear onesie, hood up thank you very much, with a bowl of popcorn and Phantom Menace cued up. It's not the ideal Friday night but when the guy you're dating is in the thick of preseason training, this is the plan. Nights at home with a movie is what I'm used to, anyway. No big deal.

Except I wish I could be waiting for him in his dorm, snuggled in his bed when he got home. Even if all we did was fall asleep because he was wiped out from practice, I would be in heaven. I realized that a few days ago, that I didn't care what we did. He doesn't have to wine and dine me, take me to parties or to socialize with his friends or mine. I just want time, in person not over video call, to be with him. It wouldn't even take words, because with Jeff I hear every single thing he says when he's saying nothing at all. His looks, his touch, the way he nods his head...it all says I'm important to him. That I matter. That he cares.

That's the most important part of a relationship, isn't it? The way the other person sees you, the importance you carry in their life. Jeff tells me in every gesture how important I am. It's not his fault he can't spend as much time with me as we'd both like. It's the nature of the football beast. I'm used to it.

Ugh. One thing I swore before I ever started dating was that football players were a no go. The few that were around my dad were Neanderthals. The few at my school weren't worth my time, total fuck boys. I never expected to connect with a guy who gravitated toward the sport, but I have. I've connected with Jeff on another level, one I don't understand. It's not stopping me from willingly going there, though.

"Let's get this marathon started," I say to myself and grab the remote to press play on my movie. A knock sounds at the door, turning my head toward the interruption. I hope it's not my new neighbor across the hall. That guy is...odd. He does some kind of spiritual cleansing scream every morning and evening. I mean, I get it. Some days I want to scream along with him. But it's not something I want to listen to every single day.

I put the popcorn on the side table and reach for the door.

"Who is it?" I wish there was a peep hole. I'd like a sneak peek before opening up to the unknown.

"Delivery." A deep voice responds. Not my neighbor, thank goodness.

I crack the door open to make sure, a girl can't be too careful, and scream.

"Oh my gosh! What are you doing here?" I throw the door open the entire way, Jeff standing in the hall looking entirely like a snack. His grey t-shirt molds over his muscular build, dark blue athletic shorts showing off his thighs and skin tanned from being out in the sun all day for the past few weeks. Shaggy hair, still a little damp from his post practice shower flops over his eyebrows. I love his hair. It's soft and the perfect length to grab onto when he's kissing me.

I jump into his arms as he laughs.

"Coach gave us the night off as a reward for a great week of practice, so I came straight here."

"Best reward ever." I grip his back, wrapping my arms even tighter around him. My legs are around his waist, locked at the ankles. I have my eyes closed but I can sense him walking us into my apartment. Then the door closes, Jeff turns us around and my back is pressed up against the wall. Jeff's lips don't just connect with mine, they overtake them. The kiss didn't go from zero to sixty, it started at a hundred and twenty. I can't catch my breath but who cares? Jeff pulls my arms from around his neck, his hands sliding down to my wrists. He lifts my hands over our heads and holds me hostage against the wall as he continues to devour me.

"Oh." I say it on a sigh as his lips trail kisses along my jaw and down my neck.

"I've been dreaming about this, sweetheart." His lips move against my skin, his teeth biting gently between words.