6- 𝑛𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑚𝑎𝑟𝑒𝑠

After spending the last month here I've developed sort of a routine. Usually I wake up, make breakfast with Druig and then go out to the village to help with the farming. I've grown very fond of the land here and love working with it. Watering, harvesting, planting, as much as it is physical work it's also quite relaxing to me. Most of the time Druig will join in once I start working with the farm animals. He particularly loves the llamas and insists on being the one that feeds them so that he can be their favorite. Sometimes I'll go over and help instruct the guard training. Rose has started watching the training and sometimes I see her following along a bit. Most days by the time I'm done with the work the sun is starting to set, so me and Druig go back home to make dinner and relax.

The nights here are where things start to get a little less routine. Druig tends to get nightmares a lot, bad ones. His screams terrify me, it sounds like he's being tortured by his mind. Every time I wake him up he just gets up and walks away. He sits outside for hours, and some nights doesn't even go back to sleep. He won't talk to me about it. When I question him in the mornings he shrugs it off and acts like it's nothing. It happened again last night and it was one of the times that he didn't come back to bed. I walked out into the kitchen and he was making breakfast like usual.

"Morning dear." He rang as I walked over to him. I leaned against the counter next to the stove and stared at him with my arms crossed. He glanced over and raised an eyebrow. "What's the matter?" He acted clueless.

"How'd you sleep?" I asked causing him to look back down at the pan. "Oh wait that's right you didn't, you sat outside all night." I pretended to just remember.

"Astrid don't start this." He seemed annoyed and I scoffed.

"I'm not starting anything, I'm trying to end this." I argued.

"End what?"

"This cycle of you having an episode and then not speaking to me about it and acting like you're completely fine the next morning." He rolled his eyes.

"I am fine." He went and grabbed two plates. "I can handle a nightmare."

"Whatever it is that's going on in your head at night, it's not just a nightmare." I continued and he groaned a bit, but I ignored his complaining. "Nightmares don't cause someone to scream like they're dying and then not come back to bed for the rest of the night." He put the eggs and bacon on the plates.

"I don't know what you want from me." He turned and held the plate out in front of me. I took it and set it down, stepping closer to him.

"I want you to talk to me." I cupped his face and he sighed a bit. "I want you to let me in." He held onto my hand.

"I'm afraid you won't like what you see." He mumbled and I scrunched my face. "If you want to look, you can." He put his forehead against mine and left my hands on his head. I debated for a second but my curiosity was too high. I went into his head. Immediately my mind was flooded with images of war, cities on fire, guns firing, people running and screaming. I felt the agony and pain he felt while seeing all of this. I let go and stumbled back rubbing my head. It hurt so bad. He lightly grabbed onto my arms and tried to meet my eyes but I didn't look at him. "You're okay, it's okay." He reassured me and wrapped his arms around me. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have let you see that." I pushed myself out of his grasp.

"Who are you? I want to know who you really are and how you've been alive long enough to see so many wars, so much pain." I backed away from him. I could see he was hurt by me being so questioning but I needed to know who I was with. I cant just pretend that it's normal for someone to be immortal like that. He stood still and didn't say anything. "I deserve to get some answers." He finally nodded a bit.

"You're right." He leaned against the counter and stared at the wall for a bit before speaking again. "I'm part of a sort of group of people, each with their own powers. We're called eternals. We were sent here to watch over the human race and help them develop. Our job was to protect them from creatures called deviants. Over time we were able to take out all of them. On our last mission the humans were at war with each other, no side was going to survive that fight. After centuries of watching them try to kill each other, I'd had enough of standing by. I stopped their war, against my leaders commands. I led them to this area to build this village and let them, and myself, live a peaceful life. The others, I haven't talked to them in centuries but they all split up for the most part." He explained all of this but I was still confused.

"If you were here to protect us then why haven't you?" He looked over at me.

"We aren't allowed to interfere with human conflict." He simply stated. I scoffed.

"Thanos is 'human conflict' to you? Half the population died and you're telling me your so called team could've stopped it?" I stepped towards him and saw him look down at my hands which were now glowing purple. I quickly rushed past him and out of the house.

"Astrid wait." He called and started following me but I ignored him. I walked all the way down to the lake. Druig had followed me and I knew he was standing a bit behind me.

"People died, so many people." I felt myself getting more upset. "But it wasn't your fight right?" I turned and glared at him. "Isn't that what you like to say, that's what gives you hope. Or do you just say that so you don't feel as guilty?" I hissed. I could see the hurt spread across his face. He stepped towards me.

"I didn't have a choice Astrid, none of us did." He sounded calm and reached out, intertwining our hands. I went to back up but he didn't let me. "Trust me when I say that if I could go back and do everything differently I would. You think all those what if's aren't part of the reason I cant just go back to bed at night?" He looked into my eyes and brushed a piece of hair out of my face. "Sometimes I Wonder if I made the wrong choice that night, that maybe these humans aren't worth protecting and are better off killing their own kind. Then you came here and reminded me why I did what I did, because there are amazing people like you in this world. Now I get reminded of that everyday." He rubbed circles on my cheek with his thumb. His touch made me feel so much calmer.

"I'm sorry," I leaned into his touch. "I should've heard you out before freaking out." I apologized.

"No you had every right to react. You lost people close to you, I'm sorry."

"Tell me about the others." He seemed taken aback by my request but then went and sat down on the bench near us and patted the spot next to him. I smiled and sat down facing him.

"Well uh theres Ajak, she's our leader, she has healing powers. She was sort of like a parent to us." He seemed to think a bit. "Then theres ikaris, he's a bit pretentious if you ask me, but one of the strongest. He has laser eyes and can fly."

"Wow, flying would be so cool."

"It's not that cool." He rolled his eyes a bit and I laughed. "Thena is another one, she's one of the greatest warriors of all time, she has a sorta cosmic spear thing. Gilgamesh is usually by her side, another great fighter, he uses his powers to enhance his fighting. Theres also Makkari, she has super speed, she can take you out before you even know she's there." He continued to explain. "Kingo is the last of the fighters, so to speak, he blasts energy, sorta like you." He gave me a smile. "Aside from the fighters we have Phastos who is basically responsible for all of the worlds innovations. Sersi, she can change materials into different things. Her and Ikaris were a thing for a long time." He added in before continuing. "And lastly theres Sprite, shes a Master of illusions. That about sums all of them up." He looked over at me. It must've been obvious how intrigued I was cause he laughed a bit when he looked over at me.

"Do you still talk to any of them?" I asked. He shook his head.

"No, not really. I made my feelings clear when I left, I didn't want much to do with them or the mission." 

"Maybe you'll reunite one day." He scoffed.

"Yeah, maybe."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hii sorry for not posting yesterday I wanted to change the ending of this chapter a bit. So here's the first chapter for today and I will be posting the other one later.

see u in a bit xoxo