[chapter 3]

Hi guys! Okay, first of all, I am so so so so so so sorry that I didn't update for so long, but I'm going to triple update to make up for it. How you like this! Enjoy!

I sat in the car, watching as two other girls climbed in clumsily with their hands tied. The limo was sleek and black, with interior white leather that seemed fragile against my grimy, cracking hand and dust-covered hair.

The other girls were staring out the window, so I took the chance to study them.

One had straight blond hair, curling a little at the bottom of it's ponytail. Her dark green eyes complimented her tanned skin and athletic figure. Of course, I couldn't tell what her style was, because we were all still in our gray uniforms, but it would be interesting to find out.

I turned ever so slightly, studying the other girl out of the corner of my eye. She had chocolate-brown curly hair, not quite spirals but pretty close. They tumbled over her shoulders to mid-back as the last rays of the sun caught in her eyes, making them look golden for a moment. Then the sunbeams were swallowed up, and I couldn't help but feel as if that was the last light we were going to be seeing for a while. We may have escaped the school, but we had effectively jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.

"You know, if you're going to watch us, you may as well just ask whatever you're wondering." said the blonde-hair girl.

I jumped slightly as she yanked me out of my thoughts."Uh... sorry. I didn't think you were watching." I said, my voice scratchy.

"Well?" the girl said impatiently.

"Well what?"

"Are you going to ask your question, or not?"

"Oh. Well... what are your names?"

"I'm Jasmine, but you can call me Jax," the blonde one said, smiling slightly.

"I'm Sophia." the brown one said shyly.

"And I'm Violet." I finished, leaning back against the seat.

"So, what do you want to know about us?" Jax said, looking towards me. Sophia followed her lead, but remained silent.

"I dunno..." I said, frowning, "What are your favorite foods? What are your hobbies? Did you have siblings?"

They blinked, obviously not expecting that.

"Well..." Jax began, uncertainly looking between us."I, um... I love dancing," she suddenly blurted. "Well, actually, I love pretty much anything athletic. I used to have an older brother, but he was assigned to Mines."

We looked at her in sympathy- almost no one makes it out of the Mines alive.

"I like singing." Sophia suddenly spoke up. "I mean, I used to love singing, but then... you know. School."

I nodded, urging her to go on.

"I had a younger sister, but Ms. Brunette wouldn't let me leave to see her Branding. I haven't seen or heard from her since my own Branding."

Jax looked horrified. I wondered how she would look if I told her what happened to my family.

"I like to draw. I mean, it's not much, but... I like to draw." They stared at me.

"So, what? You don't have a family?" Sophia asked curiously, making Jax laugh.

"Of course I do! I have two parents, and an older brother. They're just fine, as a matter of fact. They're doing great. Everyone but me is a White." I lied.

"Oh," they said, disappointed in the lack of drama.

I sighed and curled up on my side, more than fine with the "lack of drama". If only real life were like that... I thought sadly.I slowly drifted to sleep, dreams of guns and shattered glass on cement haunting my thoughts.