Acknowledgments / Sequel

Holy crap, we made it.

I know that this isn't very well written. I know that it took me two and a half years longer than 130 pages should've. And I know that with a few exceptions, most of you who are reading this have only known about Defect for a few months or weeks, but you know what? Who cares! Because I am finally, gloriously, done!!!!

Yeah, it's okay. You can take a victory lap, too. You've made it through 24 (26, counting prologue and epilogue) of my terrible story. That takes guts. *salutes you*

BUT

The whole point of this is to thank people who helped me, right? So let's get down to that. 

*stares at blank page for a while*

*tries to come up with a condensed list*

*fails*

Here's my problem: there is no limit to who helped bring this skeletal novel into existence. I could say my dad, rob-favre (check out his book, A long, Long Trip on the Hope/Freedom - it's an amazing, hilarious sci-fi adventure!!!) who let me ramble about a random story idea on the way home one day and didn't tell me to stop distracting him. I could say my best friends in Novel Club, who were both my support group and my tormentors during the first few unstable chapters. I could say one of my very best friends, chloelizabethh, who let me word vomit ideas and characters and plot twists on long bus rides home (but then, she already has a book dedicated to her--wink, wink). I could say another of my best friends, -undead-, for that good-natured argument about the importance of emotions that gave me enough fire to write another two chapters. I owe my whole life to eosophobic, who designed both the old cover and the new one, and who has been there for me for years. Without her, I don't think I could remember how to spell, much less type a whole novel. 

I guess I could say my random brain, for coming up with the idea, but that's just egotistical. 

Here's the thing that makes this hard: in one way or another, everyone helped. We're all connected. We all make choices that influence others. We all help shape the world around us. 

I know that sounds like touchy-feely bullshit, but stick with me here. Think about it. 

Maybe you're one of my best friends, who let me bounce ideas around and shot down the ones that would have ended the story's potential. Or maybe you're just a Wattpad-er who was browsing and thought my cover was kinda cool, so maybe my writing wouldn't suck completely (thanks again, eosophobic). Or maybe you don't have Wattpad at all--maybe I just saw you walking down the street one day and thought yes, this person belongs in a dystopian novel

No matter who you are, or where you are, or if you even see this--you helped write this novel. Every choice we make effects the people around us, and every choice they make as a result effects the people around them, and it never stops. Maybe you haven't even ever heard of this book, but you still helped it come to life. 

Also, if you've never heard of this book, why the fuck are you reading the acknowledgements? Read the actual novel, not my ramble. 

I know that Defect is a story about emotions and humanity, about action and mystery and romance. But to be honest, to me, it's always just been about people. It's about the things we do to and for the ones we love, and the ones we hate. 

So thanks so anyone who ever showed that they weren't perfect, or that they had feelings, or why they were so shut down. Thanks to anyone out there. Thanks to the thousands of people that have, for some reason, stuck around and read about Violet and Alex and all her friends. 

It means the world and then some to me, guys. 

***

S E Q U E L

*** 

Now, back to business. Defect is my darling, precious child. It took my three freaking years, and it's my third novel, and I'm finally done, but also... not. 

'Tis bittersweet, is it not?

The point is, I have now reached a crossroads. So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to post the first few prewritten chapters from my November hiatus, and then I'm going to go back and edit Defect for a little while. I don't know how long it'll take--I've never been very good at the whole 'editing' thing, but for the first time, I really think this is important to me. Defect has a bajillion reads compared to my other work (which anyone is welcome to check out, by the way), but it still feels messy, and if this many people are going to be reading it, I want it to be right.

So... That's the plan. I'm going to keep working with Defect for a while longer, although there will be enough up on my profile for you guys to get a taste of Cassie and the new crew (though I'm not sure yet when that will go up)

Once again, I want to thank everyone who helped me get to this point. You're all the very best kind of people :)

*** 

Normally, I'd say "see you soon", but I guess that doesn't really apply here. At any rate.... I love you all, and I hope that you enjoyed the story as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you. 

--Earthstone <3