Ch. 2.1 ~ In the Dead of Night

I shake the doorknob, but it doesn't budge. Confused, I try to push, then pull the door. Maybe the knob needs to be turned up?...

Nope. That doesn't do anything.
My face moves closer to the glass doors and I try to catch a glimpse of somebody inside. The dim light against the door's tinted pane barely lets me make out the lobby, along with a few colorful playpens rested on carpet. Besides that, there's nobody in sight.

I'm locked out.

Trying not to let panic build, I knock on the door and then cross my arms to protect myself from the piercing wind.
It makes sense that they just wouldn't let the front door wide open in the dead of night. And if there are other cars here, somebody has to be here. They must be expecting a new hire, any moment now...
So where are they?

The freezing air stings my mouth when I suck in a breath

The freezing air stings my mouth when I suck in a breath. The entire parking lot is desolate, causing me to feel like the only living thing out here. The dead, black void beyond what I can see makes a shiver run down my spine.
I pull out my phone to find the number that the phone guy called me from.

I'll just tell him I'm here, and ask him to have somebody meet me. Screw that it's midnight. I don't want to be out here any longer than I need to.

...huh?

I check my call log again, and then I refresh to check it a third time.
It's not here.
Our phone conversation vanished. The number, the emails, completely disappeared from my history.

What the hell is going on.

I don't believe it. It must be a glitch in my phone. Something. We talked on the damn phone, I didn't imagine it. I didn't delete the call history.

No records, nobody here to meet me. Now I'm stood here in the middle of the night, in an empty parking lot, growing uneasy with every passing minute.

I feel like a fish. A tiny, insignificant fish floating in the dark abyss, surrounded by beams of light. A false sense of safety. I must stay far away from them to not give my location away to whatever the fuck is out there in the dark.

There's a reason that our primal instincts have stayed with us through years of evolution. And there's a reason they're screaming at me right now.
Stay in the dark or get the fuck out of here.

I check the time on my phone before planning my next move.
12:16am.
Nobody in sight.

I put my phone back into my pocket and step away from the main doors, debating whether to make my way back to my car, when the side door a small distance to the right of the main entrance abruptly creaks open.

A man wearing the same uniform as me barges out, breathing hard, and lets the door slam shut behind him. He hunches over with his lower back pressed against the door, resting his forehead in his hands. He takes a while to calm down his breathing and lets out a frustrated, defeated sigh.