3

I blinked slowly, the dim lighting in the room still bright to my unaccustomed eyes. I winced, shivering. I felt something along the side of me. When my eyes were adjusted I looked. My heart lept.

"Adam?" I said, quietly. His eyes shot open and he was tugging my body closer to his. I shivered some more.

"You're awake," he exhaled. His whole body was shaking. I hmm'd in delight, soaking up his warmth.

"You're warm," I replied.

"Are you still cold?" He asked, suddenly pulling another blanket over the top of us.

"Mmmm" I hummed.

"Belle, why did you leave? In the middle of the night?" He asked, brushing some hair out of my face. I blinked wearily at him.

"Can't remember... couldn't remember why... I was... here..." I finally got it out. My speech was slow. It felt like my brain needed to thaw.

"Are you still tired? You've been asleep all day," He told me. I was surprised.

"So sleepy," I answered simply, my eyes sliding shut. Everything went dark again.

The next time I woke up my head was much clearer.

"Adam?" I whispered hoarsely, looking around for him. Suddenly he was right there. His scruff had grown, he had bags under his eyes that looked very red, and his hand was shaking slightly as he reached for my face.

"Belle, I'm so glad you're awake," He whispered. I closed my eyes and leaned into his touch. "Hey, hey, hey, open your eyes, love. Don't fall asleep again, please." His voice was like a whine.

I fluttered my eyes open and offered him a slight smile.

"I'm awake. How long was I asleep this time?" I asked him.

"Two more days. The doctors said your body got too cold and it needed to rest to regulate itself again. I was so worried," He explained. I felt my heart squeeze. Something about the way he was looking at me was making my heartbreak.

"Why would you leave like that?" He asked after a little while of us staring at each other.

"I- I don't know," I replied honestly, shifting so I could sit up. He was reaching to help me and I felt delicious tingles alight on my skin at the contact. "I think I just got a little uncomfortable after you left. I'm not the kind of girl to go home with a stranger... even if nothing happened." I knew it was true as I said it.

I was watching Adam's reaction though and he seemed to recoil slightly at my explanation. I opened my mouth to ask him what that was about when a doctor walked into the room.

"Hey, Alpha, can I talk to you for a second?" She asked, gesturing for him to speak with her outside. I felt panic rise at the thought of him leaving me. I think he could tell because when he turned back to look at me his eyes were soft.

"I'll be right back," He promised. I nodded, swallowing my worry.

When he left I started to get nervous again. I was in a stranger's house/mansion/private hospital. I had been unconscious for three days after being sexually assaulted by my stalker. The stranger who had been taking care of me turned into a wolf and fought three other wolves to keep me safe. I felt fine when I was with Adam but every time I wasn't with him it was like the reality of the situation just exploded on me.

And then he came back into the room. With the Doctor.

"Hey, Belle," The doctor greeted me, smiling and unhooking me from the heart monitor.