4

I angrily pulled on the coat, it kept me warmer than any other. I yanked a beanie over my head and pulled on some gloves for extra measure. I thought about it and then I stuffed some granola bars in my pocket too. I hadn't eaten yet and it was going to be a long walk.

I had Adam's address in my phone from when I had tried to walk home in the middle of the night. Thankfully this time I was smarter and I decided to walk over in the middle of the day.

I stormed out of my apartment, rage fueling every step, every stomp, every kick at rocks in my way. I wanted answers and I was going to get them.

The cold wasn't even bothering me. I was so angry that I was immune to the cold. Ironic, since the cold had nearly killed me just a few weeks ago.

I saw the castle-looking, multi-purpose home from above the trees and quickened my pace. I marched right up to the front doors and pounded on them with all my might.

To my shock, Louis answered the door moments later. He seemed shocked as well. We recovered around the same time.

"I need to speak with Adam," I demanded.

"Oh, thank goodness," He sighed, seeming relieved. He ushered me in.

"Where is he?" I grumbled, glaring at my friend. He didn't even seem to notice.

"He really needs you," Louis said. That caught my attention.

"Why? What's going on?" I asked, the whole 'angry thing' dissipating. I was a sucker. Completely and utterly.

"Come on," Louis urged, leading me down a hallway I hadn't been throught the last time. We went down a dark stair case and then there was another hallway. This one had deep scratches in the wood, like a wild animal had been dragged through.

Then I remembered that Adam was a wild animal.

"Louis," I urged him to walk faster. I heard deep growling and groaning coming from somewhere ahead of me and somehow I knew it was Adam.

"He's in here," Louis informed me, standing in front of a thick metal door. I nodded as he unlocked it. When I ran inside I was stunned at the sight that greeted me.

Adam was sitting against a far wall. His arms were chained up on either side of him, pinned to the wall. He looked more wolf than man, despite being in human form. I was flinging off my hat, coat, and gloves as I raced across the room to him. He looked up as me as I approached and let out a terrifying growl. But it didn't deter me.

I was kneeling over him, tears pouring down my cheeks. I reached out to touch his face when his legs knocked mine out from under me and I landed on his lap, against his chest.

"Adam," I whimpered, more tears falling. He was trying to cuddle me closer the best he could, but it was hard without his arms.

"Louis, please let him go," I begged, moving to sit up. Adam growled again, and I somehow understood that he wanted me to stay put. As soon as the chains were gone from Adam's arms they shot around me like rubber bands snapping into place. Iron grip.

He was breathing in my hair, every moment pulling me even closer against him. I was doing the same. My right hand was running through his hair and scratching his scalp lightly while my left arm was around his neck, pulling him in so I could cry into it without being seen.

I was feeling so many emotions all at once. Relief, confusion, fear, and somehow, peace.

After what must have been close to an hour of silently soaking in the other's presence, I decided I needed to say something.