13

"I'll pick you up after your shift," Adam whispered, his forehead pressed to mine. One of his hands was clasped around the back of my neck while the other held me tightly against him. My fingers clenched against his shirt. 

He'd only gotten more touchy with me ever since we had found out the news about my role. He had confided that it was because my position would put me in the spotlight and he didn't want me to get hurt. I found it wildly attractive. Not that I would admit that to his face. 

"Okay," I whispered back, smiling as I stared at his lips. We hadn't kissed again. The tension was starting to build. But I wanted all the control this time. I wanted to make him feel as desperate to kiss me as I had felt last time. So we would both have to wait. 

Slowly I backed away, sliding my hand along his arm and holding onto his hand as long as I could as I backed towards the library counter. Adam was looking at me as if I was going off to war instead of to stock the shelves at our local library. 

"I'll be fine," I assured him. I knew that I would. Selene wasn't done with me yet. I knew that I still had a job to fulfill and she would protect me so that I could do so. I didn't want to think about what would happen once I had completed my role.

"I know," He muttered, but I wondered if he really did. He was gone before I could ask him. 

"I see you two have grown... close," A voice said from the bookshelves adjacent to the front desk. I looked around but I couldn't see anyone else. I felt my heart start to pick up. There was no one there to help me. 

Do not fret, I am here. 

I took a deep breath in, allowing the calmness from Her presence to fill me. 

"You aren't supposed to be here, Garrett," I said. I didn't even dignify him by looking up. I just started scanning barcodes and logging in the books. I heard him emerge from his hiding spot and move around the counter. I felt my body tensing, preparing itself to flee. 

Be still

I continued what I was doing. I could feel the heat from his body through the sweater on my back. My hands were exerting every muscle in order to not shake. 

"You aren't supposed to be with him," He retorted. I think he was trying to do it in a sexy way, breathily, in my ear. His breath reeked of alcohol though. His voice repulsed me. The heat from his body was sticky and thick. There was nothing sexy about it. 

"Am I supposed to be with you?" I asked him, still not acknowledging that he was right behind me. 

"You were," He bit out. His hands were now on the counter on either side of me. 

Just a moment longer

"But you're tainted now, filthy. This is your last chance, Belle. If you renounce him and agree to marry me then we can let bygones be bygones. If you don't..." He trailed off chuckling evilly. 

"Never," I swore proudly. 

Now! 

In my mind, I saw what I needed to do the very moment my body needed to do it. I reared my foot back as his arms moved to grab at me. My foot connected with his groin and his hands changed course, moving to protect his reproductive parts. 

"You'll regret that," He grunted as I moved myself out from my trapped position. I was crouched slightly forward, taking a more offensive position than I felt was necessary. I felt like I should have been defending but I trusted in what I was seeing in my mind. 

To the right

I shot to the right and managed to jab him in his side with my elbow just as his right arm swung out to hit me. Once again, the blow caused him to course-correct. I stepped hard on the instep of his foot, feeling a satisfying crunch. I definitely at least moved a bone out of place.