Chapter 1

The door to my chambers swung open, rising me from my sleep. I opened my eyes and saw my mentor staring at me with a worried look. He pushes his bright red hair away from his face and motions for me to rise.

I jump out of my bed and rush to him. I had apprenticed under Saul to practice medicine and I travelled to his village often to practice my craft. Once my skill was of a certain level, I moved into Dilston Castle per orders from our Lord Walter of Peteonia to assist Saul as his personal practitioner.

"Come quickly child. Lord Walter's son was injured during combat training."

He took my hand and pulled me out of my room. We scampered down the winding halls and made it to the infirmary where Prince Lief lay clutching his arm where there was a rather large cut. Blood seeped from the wound and the color looked drained from Lief's normally tanned face.

"Your father warned you of the dangers of joining his army." Saul chastised the young man upon our entry to the room.

Lief looked to us and his eyes settled on me. I realized that I still had on my white nightgown which was the complete opposite of my honey colored skin.

"I must be dying for the angel Kaylein to pay me a visit." Lief mustered while scanning his eyes over my body, from head to toe.

I blushed lightly as his words while Saul let out a grunt. I watched the older man head to our inventory but not before telling me to examine Lief's injury. I walk to the prince and gently move his hand, which was clamped over the cut.

Even though the cut was large, it wasn't that deep. All he would need was some salve, maybe snitches.

"You big baby! You'll be fine in less than a day's time." I state and grab a cloth to wipe the blood off his arm and his hand.

Lief smiles up at me. "I needed an excuse to see you."

I lean forward to whisper to him. "No one can learn of us. It would only yield disatrous results." I then gently run my fingers through his dark blonde hair.

Lief scoffs. "I can't hide my feelings for you any longer. The men of Peteonia believe you to be maiden and I can't bear the thought of seeing you in another man's arm."

He reaches up his uninjured arm and caresses my cheek with his hand. I wish we could be open about our relationship but I knew his father would not only disapprove but he would banish me back to my home village, far away from his son.

I let the thoughts leave me as I finish cleaning his wound. Saul returns to my side with a frown on his face which displays some of the wrinkles he has incurred during his fifty years.

"Our inventory of salve has been depleted." he tells me. "You will have to travel to Froloin to replenish our stock."

He grabs my hand and places my palm up. He drops a few gold coins in my hand and closes my finger around the money.

"Go to your chambers and change. I will have one of the squires bring a horse around for you."

I nod at his order and steal one last look at Lief before I leave the infirmary. I go to my room and pull my gown over my head. I dress in a simple chemise and place an overcoat on since it is still cold out due to it only being a few hours after sunrise.

I leave the castle and see Saul standing near the gate with a large brown and white horse. I approach the animal and Saul helps me mount it.

"Safe travels." he tells me, a phrase that is said to anyone going on a lengthy trip.

Froloin was about a two hour horse ride but I wouldn't mind the scenery and fresh air. I see the gates being opened and Saul slaps the horse's butt which causes it to take off running out of the protection of the land.