Chapter 9

EPILOUGE

KAYLEIN’S POV (THREE YEARS LATER)

“Argh, why do I have to do this?” Merek groans as I trim the hair that ran along his chin.

I laugh at my husband as he frowns down at me.

“I want you to look nice, now hold still.”

“I don’t know why you want to go to this wedding. We have to travel for hours and you’re in no condition for it.”

I smirk at him as he reaches between us and rubs my swollen belly. I was carrying our second child who was due to be born within the next few weeks. Our two year daughter Mekayle played in a bed of flowers behind me.

As the years went by Merek reformed and no longer practiced the barbarian life. We settled in a permanent home near Lundene and I was able to keep in contact with Chloe, Gemma and Dametta. Alainne actually moved to Peteonia and I was a bit surprised to learn she and Lief had fallen in love. They are set to be wed before sunset!

Lief invited Merek and I to his wedding and even agreed to send a carriage to escort us safely to Peteonia. As if on cue from Merek’s concern over the long travel, the carriage arrived.

“What is this?” he asks while staring at me.

“Lief sent a carriage for us. Now we can safely travel to Peteonia for the wedding.” I tell him with a smile.

Merek lets out a sigh. I knew it would be the first time that he would step foot in Peteonia in years and it would be awkward being around Lord Walter after he tried to kill him.

“I am only doing this because of my love for you.”

I smile and pull his head down to me. I place a kiss on his lips and I feel Merek’s arms wrap around my waist. We continue our kiss until I hear the driver of the carriage clear his throat. I pull away from Merek and look to the middle aged man.

“We must leave now to make it to Peteonia in time.” he states.

I nod and ask Merek to gather Mekayle. He reluctantly pulls away from me and approaches our daughter. She smiles up at him and raises her arms to him as he bends down and scoops her in his arms. He places a kiss on her chubby cheeks and the sight makes me smile.

I loved seeing my husband interact with our baby and I knew that the new addition to our family will be equally spoiled as Mekayle.

He walks back to me and places his arm on my back, protectively as we head toward the carriage. Merek opens the door and it takes me a moment longer to hoist my body up the small steps. Merek climbs in behind me and when we are seated he places Mekayle between us.

“Where we going daddy?” Mekayle asks while attempting to climb into my lap.