Chapter 8

MEREK’S POV

I took the blood soaked sheets out to the river to clean them. The two men left in my camp saw this and they knew I had just deflowered Kaylein.

Normally my men and I wouldn’t even touch a virgin but Kaylein was different. She was my wife now and nothing felt better to a husband to know that his wife had never been touched by a man before you.

Ulric joined me at the river and congratulated me on my union once again. I just simply smiled at him and he then helped me clean the sheet.

We returned back to the camp and I went into my tent and saw Kaylein sleeping peacefully. I got into bed next to her and just stared at her. I moved a tendril of her hair from her face and admired her beauty. I ran my thumb over her cheek and her full lips.

She smiled beneath my thumb and lightly kissed my flesh. She opened her eyes and looked at me with those beautiful hazel orbs.

“I didn’t mean to wake you.” I whispered.

“I woke the minute you left my side.” she whispered back.

Those words made me smile. I brought her closer to me and she sat up slightly and kissed me. She threw her arms around me and I am shocked when she presses her tongue in my mouth.

Before we can really get into our embrace I hear my men shout my name. I then hear the sound of horses running against the ground toward the camp.

I pull away from Kaylein and she can hear everything outside of our tent as well. I jump up and she does too. I head to leave and feel her following me. I spin to her and grab her arms, pinning her in place.

“Stay here baby. I told you I would protect you so wait for me in here.” I tell her and place a kiss on her lips before leaving.

As soon as I leave the tent I see ten men closing in on our camp. I immediately recognize the man in the front, carrying a swallow. His eyes are fixated on me and I smirk at him.

“Prince Lief. To what do I owe this pleasure?” I ask as my men look ready for a battle.

Lief’s men do as well but they have ridden to their deaths.

KAYLEIN’S POV

“Prince Lief. To what do I owe this pleasure?”

I hear Merek’s voice outside of the tent. Lief? He is here at the camp?

Even though Merek told me to stay inside the tent I couldn’t control my legs as they carried me outside. All eyes fell on me and I felt my heart drop when my eyes settled on Lief. I notice Saul is next to him, each carrying a weapon, each ready to fight.

“Kaylein, go back into the tent.” Merek said to me.