Chapter 5

LIEF'S POV

My heart was racing as Saul and I stood our ground. Whoever was racing towards us would reach us soon. I looked over at Saul and you couldn't tell if he was afraid or not. I knew I couldn't let my fear overcome me because Saul needed me to fight beside him.

My body relaxed when I spotted our foes. A laugh erupted from my body and Saul looked at me as if I had gone mad. I pointed to the handful of men who now were riding towards us on their horses. He looked in the direction and relaxed when she saw the men. He blew out a breath.

We each put our weapons away and I greeted the men of my father's army. They tell me that my father went against parliament and sent them after us to join us.

I was surprised but I knew his decision was only because I left Peteonia. If I had stayed Saul would be still be alone. Saul gets on his horse and yells for everyone to follow him.

I rush to my horse and mount it, directing it to follow the others. We head back to the road and continue to follow the foot tracks. After another hour of riding we are led to a camp site. We tread softly, not knowing if danger lies there.

My eyes widen as I spot a body on the ground. I dismount my horse and rush over. Saul does the same. We approach the body and as we get closer we see the head several feet from the corpse.

"This was one of his own men." Saul states while examining the body.

"Why would Merek kill one of his own men?" I ask but Saul turns his head and spots something.

He rushes to a piece of clothing on the ground. He holds up a torn chemise.

"Kaylein was wearing this when she left Peteonia." he states.

I rush over and examine it. It looks torn to shreds and I choke at the thought of my love being taken advantage of. The thought of filthy men touching her is more than I can bear. I turn away from Saul and vomit, spewing the contents of my stomach onto the dirt.

I feel Saul's hand on my back. I wipe my mouth before standing to my full height. So many emotions were running through me: anger, fear, rage, jealousy. Why was I jealous? Because some barbarian had taken Kaylein's virginity which was promised to me!

I made a vow to myself that I would have Merek's head!

KAYLEIN'S POV

Merek had me walk in the front with him while his men walked behind. The other girls were at the very back, chained together and led by the other man who had stayed with us when majority of the men went for food.

I stared at the girls over my shoulders and each of them, except Alainne, gave me a dirty look. I knew they were angry that they were raped and I wasn't. They were beaten and I wasn't. They slept in dirt last night while I was in a warm bed.

I didn't ask for this and I certainly didn't think that Merek would choose me over the other girls; and if he had chosen one of the other girls I wouldn't be angry at that girl.

I turned my head back to the front and then dropped to look at my feet. I feel Merek's fingers graze my chin and he lifts my head so I am looking at him. I will admit that when he's not angry, he has a very attractive face.

"What troubles you?" he asks when my eyes meet his.

"Why am I not chained with the other women? Why do you treat me so special?" I ask him.

"Because you are. You are to be my bride and you must become accustomed to knowing you are above most, at least in my eyes."

If these words were being said by Lief I would blush and bestow him with a kiss. But coming from Merek I only pout and rip my face from his fingers.