Fate's Miracle

Danny can hardly get the words to leave his mouth and I can hardly breath when I hear them. "Y/n, I'm so sorry. Rafe is - Rafe is dead."

I've been sobbing for who knows how many hours in Evelyn's house. Danny drove me over here so much parents wouldn't wonder why I was crying so much. Clutching my knees to my chest Evelyn hands me something to wipe my nose with Danny leaning in the doorway of her bathroom. "Danny, I think you should go. It's probably not helping that she sees his best friend-" Eve tries to make him leave but I shoot my head up calling him back into the room. "Danny, stay please!" Danny stands back where he was holding in tears himself, trying to keep it together for me. "Do you need anything Y/n?" Lifting my head up I blinked trying to clear my vision that blurs together. "Tell me about your childhood with him..." I croaked out my throat dry from sobbing constantly. Throughout the rest of the night Danny told me about him and Rafe. Everything they did together. How he treated Danny like his brother. It still hurts to think the last time I was ever in his arms or kissed him was on my front porch months ago.

As of today it will have been three months since Rafe's last letter, since he was presumed dead. Finishing putting my hair into a braid I sniffed clutching Rafe's first note in my pocket. Evelyn and Danny thought it would be good for all of us to go for dinner and drinks tonight. As a way to get me out of my house for the night I suppose. My parents had to go to a Army base to deal with Japan sending messages to the US. Since they're not around I haven't left the house at all. Hiding under the blankets on my bed trying to imagine him not being gone. Evelyn and Danny walk together with me on his other side entering the bar. Everyone of the pilots, nurses and people who sleep on Pearl Harbor ships are here tonight. I clutch my jacket in my left hand remembering Rafe and I dancing on the rooftop. Danny clearly takes notice gently grabbing my forearm leading me through the crowd to get a drink from the bar. "Danny I don't think I can do this - maybe I should just go back home for tonight."

Danny shakes his head sliding me a shot glass picking up his own. "Y/n, I know it's hard but let's have a shot together...for Rafe." I slowly nodded tipping the shot back at the same time as him. I try not to gag at how strong the bartender was making them tonight. Hours later I'm still sitting at the bat sipping from a new shot of alcohol watching Evelyn and Danny party all night. The pair have gotten close since Rafe was gone, Evelyn learned to enjoy Rafe's company even though I think she slightly had a crush on him. If he hadn't fallen for me I bet money he would've gone for her. Danny twirled Evelyn around on the dancefloor and they both mirror the same huge smile. Evelyn rushed to my house the night after she visited him late at the base and she nearly squealed that they had slept together. Glancing at my watch I see it's almost ten at night. With my parents gone for two more days I'm in charge of his unit until he comes back. He called it as like my training for when he retired.

I don't bother telling the pair bye seeing as they are having too much fun together. And Danny deserves to be happy considering he lost his best friend who he considered like his own brother. Driving Danny's car back to my place I knew that Evelyn's house wasn't far from the bar, which is probably where her and Danny would head after all the drinks they've had. Parking in the driveway I nearly hit another car that's in front of me. Who the hell's car is in the driveway. Holding my head I feel it get jolted around hitting the breaks harshly so I don't slam into it. "Y/n, shit are you alright?" A man's voice called out to me. Footsteps approach my car but it takes me a few seconds to recognize the stranger. Rubbing my eyes to clear my vision to stare into brown eyes I'd recognize anywhere. Eyes that I fell in love with, eyes that can only belong to one person...Rafe.

"Y/n, Y/n can you hear me. Look at me, what hurts?" Rafe cups my face in his hands searching to see if I'm injured but he won't find any injuries on the outside. I expected tears to already be falling but there's nothing. My hands slowly run up his arms to rest against his face trying to determine if this is all a dream or maybe even a nightmare. A nightmare to think I'll never get to be around him ever again. "God tell me I ain't dreaming of you, Rafe McCawley..." Rafe's figment of my imagination leans down capturing my lips with his. I gasped sharply feeling my brain finally processing that I'm not losing it. "Ra - Rafe..." I released out in tears seeing him break the kiss smiling down at me. His right hand brushes hair from my eyes releasing a teared chuckle with a huge grin. "You're not dreaming baby. I told you I'd come back....I made you a promise and I'll never break it again." He rests his forehead against mine as I clutch the fabric of his jacket, my breathing becoming labored mixing with his. Something in my brain snapped as I climbed out of the car grabbing his arm pulling him inside my family's house and to my room with a smirk on my lips.

Spinning around to face him I crashed my lips onto his and he kisses back feeling me pull him up against me by his shirt. My arms wrapped around his neck deepening it until I broke it pulling his jacket off and he pulled mine off to. His eyes searching mine for any sign of hesitation. "Have you ever done this before, Y/n?" I shake my head no sucking a thick lump in my throat playing with the hair at the base of his neck. "I'm your first in everything aren't I, baby?" Rafe smirks brightly leaning forward and kissing me slowly so I ease into him. "You already know my dad didn't want me dating anyone silly. So of course your my first...is that a bad thing?" I blushed looking down to the floor until he lifts my chin up so I looked into his eyes again.

"There's nothing wrong with that. You're the love of my life so I'm thrilled to be yours all together." He slowly pulled my shirt over my head along with his own. And it's not too long after we're kissing again and I fall back onto the bed. "Y/n, look at me. Tell me if you want me to stop..." His breathing has picked up with him hovering above me. Resting a hand to his face I pulled him down to kiss me again. "Never Rafe. Never stop or leave me alone again...I love you." He responded with a kiss running one hand through my hair. "I'll never leave without you by my side. I love you so much."

Comments really appreciated :)