Chapter 3

The next week of school was just as bad. Matthew didn't appear though. I was picked on, not that I didn't put them in their place, and hated by everyone but Amanda.

I was up for breakfast the next Monday, when my mother came into the dinning room.

"Good Morning sweetheart, how are things going?" She asked as she sat down and was served breakfast. I quickly tried covering my mood and smiled.

"Oh great, school has been great" I said. I just got permission to go to school, I wasn't going to let some guy take that away from me.

"Okay, after school today there is going to be a small event. As you know, the Davis family and us have been building relations and we have decided to let them know about you. We didn't share about you going to school, so they are not aware of that. So tonight you will be coming with us and meeting them secretly, away from the press since they agreed to keep it a secret as much as possible." She said. I sat as I processed her words.

"So you're introducing me to them in secret?" I asked. She nodded.

"Without the suit or anything, since that is still a secret as well." She added. I realized that meant Matthew would likely be there. I finally had a chance to make him shut up and be nice to me.

"Okay, I can't wait." I said and smiled at her.

~~~~~

Once again I didn't see Matthew at school, so other than people speaking under their breath, school flew by as I imagined all the things I could say to him. I still had to keep my school identity a secret from him, so there wasn't much I could say without him starting something first.

I went to my room and began getting ready for the visit. My mother mentioned we would be having dinner, so I dressed accordingly. I put on a cute spring dress since the weather was finally getting warm, and paired a nice handbag and shoes to match. I quickly fixed my hair and makeup and walked to the entrance of the house.

My parents were already standing at the door ready.

"Lexi, you look great. I'm sure your mother filled you in on today," my father said once he saw me. I smiled as I gave him a hug.

"Yes, I'm all set. Will we be going in the same car?" I asked.

"We will. The Davis family guaranteed a private place to exit the car where no one could sneak past." He explained. I nodded excitedly. Matthew aside, I couldn't remember a time my parents let me ride in the same car as them, much less introduce me to someone.

We soon arrived at the Davis house, and it was just as stunning as my own. The architecture was much more modern and cold than our house though. We were ushered inside quickly and were greeting in the entrance hall. There stood Mr and Mrs Davis, along with Matthew looking bored next to them.

"Welcome Henry, I'm glad you could make it" Mr Davis said, greeting my father. Everyone began to exchange greetings until their eyes fell on me.

"You must be Lexi," Mr Davis said. I saw Matthew quickly notice me the second my name was mentioned. I hadn't thought about that. His boredom quickly faded and he instead gave me a charming smile.

"Hello Lexi, I'm Matthew. I've been hearing about you all day" he said. I nodded and tried not to react in any way that would give me away.

"Hello Matthew, nice to meet you". We all continued on to dinner where nothing notable happened. Matthew and I stayed pretty silent as our parents talked about us and the situation of keeping me a secret. Afterwards, the parents continued into an office and dismissed Matthew and I to get to know each other. Once they were out of sight, Matthew turned to look at me with a grin on his face.

"It's nice to see a new face around" he said, as he guided me to a living room. I just raised my eyebrow at him.

"I guess it is?" I replied. It was hard not to be snarky, but he hadn't given me a good reason to be yet. I wasn't used to him being nice.

"So what did you want to do?" Matthew asked. He slowly wrapped his arm around my shoulder as we walked. I resisted the urge to punch him and just smiled.

"I think I'll just wait for my parents somewhere else," I said as I moved his arm off me.

"Oh come on, don't be like that. I thought we were hitting it off," he joked. I had to use all my strength to not roll my eyes.

"So, is there anything you like to do?" I asked him, trying to change the topic. Matthew shrugged.

"Not really, everything is kind of boring to be honest." He said. He put his arm around my shoulder again, "Well you're pretty interesting though."

I couldn't even attempt to make conversation. I had no idea what approach to take since right now, I'm Lexi Carter, and my parents want to get along with the Davis family. One wrong move could derail everything. I just let him keep his arm around me as we continued walking, with him still blatantly flirting.

Thankfully, soon an employee came to let us know that our parents were done and we were heading out. We all exchanged farewells and we departed home.