Chapter 5

As I ate breakfast the next day, my parents walked in and sat down.

"Hey sweetie, how is everything?" My mom asked as they were served food. I shrugged.

"It's pretty good. I mean, the classes are really easy so there isn't much to do," I said. My dad raised a brow.

"From what I've heard from Mr Davis, and I only know because he kept going on and on about it, is that their school offers advanced classes for their best students. Did you want to give it a try? I'm sure with a recommendation from us you'd be let in," he explained. I gave it a thought before nodding.

"I think that sounds good." I said.

"Actually, one more thing. Your father and I were debating disclosing your identity to Mr and Mrs Davis anyway. This would be a good chance to tell them, and they would be able to ensure you're being treated well in school." My mom chimed in. I shrugged.

"I mean, they already know I exist, so I'm sure they wouldn't be surprised that you guys make me literally disguise myself to go outside our house." I added. My parents ignored my comment and continued eating.

"In that case, I'll make a phone call and you'll likely be called into the headmaster's office to talk about your classes." My mother said.

"Okay, I'll let you know how it goes," I said as I got up to go get ready.

~~~~~~

As I stared out the window in my second class, I suddenly felt a stare at the back of my head. I turned to see everyone in the class looking in my direction as my professor called my name again.

"Lexi, if you paid attention in class, maybe you would have noticed me calling your name several times," Mr Hampton said disappointedly. I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes and nodded.

"That was my fault Mr Hampton, it won't happen again," I said and sat up straight in my seat.

"I would hope not," he retorted before turning back to the board.

I bit my tongue but the last shred of patience I had was stripped away the second a voice was heard laughing at the back of the class. Everyone turned to look at Ruby sitting in the back with her usual group.

"What a fucking joke," she said as she continued laughing. As I opened my mouth to finally bite her back, the door opened and interrupted the situation. A student walked in carrying a slip of paper.

"There is a request for Lexi Johnson to report to the headmasters office as soon as she gets this," they said and gave the note to Mr Hampton before leaving. He waved it around and signaled for me to be excused. I chose not to say anything as I put my stuff in my bag and left for the office.

Once there, I walked to the front desk and showed my note to the secretary and he nodded.

"Mrs. Davis will be with you shortly. Have a seat in the meantime," he said and motioned to the waiting area.

I raised a brow as I sat down. I hadn't expected Mrs. Davis to oversee the academy herself, I had thought there would be some random person appointed headmaster. I waited shortly until the big wooden double doors opened up and I heard my name called. As I walked in, I squinted for a second, as the entire back wall was filled with floor length windows overseeing the courtyard. There was even a door leading out to a balcony.

At the back center of the room was Mrs Davis, sitting at her large wooden desk that had a neat pile of papers on it.  She saw me enter and took off her glasses.

"Wow Lexi, I have to hand it to your parents, they really outdid themselves with this disguise. If you don't have all the parts of the puzzle, one would never put the pieces together," she said and signaled me to the seat across her desk. I gave her a smile and sat down.

"Yes, you can consider it a bit overboard, but I'm sure they have already explained everything to you," I said, trying to be mindful of my manners.

"That they did. With that aside, I suppose the main thing we are here to look at today would be your classes. Correct?" She asked. I nodded. She put her glasses back on and began typing on her computer. "Well looking at your current grades, I don't see any reason to hold you back. Flawless- oh I do see one class where you have a B." She said. I looked at her in confusion.

"How can that be? All my assignments have been perfect in all my classes," I said.

"It looks like your Applying Classical Literature to Business class with Mr Hampton. You're right that all your assignments have been perfect, but it seems you have been deducted participation points nearly everyday," she said. I didn't show my emotions on my face, but internally I was seething since I knew I had participated in class.

"You're an outstanding student either way, so I will accept moving you to the advanced classes, with the exception of Mr Hampton's class. Does that sound fair? We can talk about advancing regarding this class if your class grade starts to improve," she explained.

I nodded, hating that I was stuck with Mr Hampton and Ruby, but I didn't dare argue with Mrs. Davis. I was getting ready to be dismissed when Mrs Davis continued.

"Oh Lexi, since you are here, I was hoping I could ask you a favor," She said and took off her glasses once again to look at me.

"Of course Mrs. Davis, how can I help?" I said, completely confused what she could possibly need from me.

"Well, your parents were showing me your previous school work and materials, and I have to say, you are astounding at everything. Though I can't help but notice you are excelling in science. I have a student that is part of the new classes you are starting, and he seems to be struggling a bit in his chemistry classes of late. I was hoping you could tutor him a bit after school everyday?" She asked and smiled. I felt relieved that her request was simple enough.

"Of course. I hope I can meet your standards, as I have never taught material to another person," I said.

"Oh I'm sure you won't let me down," she said. From her smile and tone of voice, I could almost feel there was a catch.

"Can I ask the name of the student?"

"Oh I am sure you have met him, as it is my son Matthew," she said. I froze. "He seems to hate people knowing he isn't doing well, so I hope you'll keep this confidential. I have tried other students but Matthew has scared them all off, so I'm hoping you can successfully tutor him."

I forced a smile on my face and nodded. "I will definitely try my hardest Mrs. Davis."

She smiled and dismissed me. As I turned to walk out, my smile dropped as I could feel my life about to get so much harder.

A/N: drop a like and comment if you're enjoying the story so far, it helps me know what the readers want to see more of <3