Chapter 10

That weekend, I was up getting ready for Amanda to come over since she decided Saturday worked for her. I hadn't had another study session with Matthew, due to him being absent in school the rest of the week.

He missed all of last week too and it made me wonder what was going on for him to be absent so frequently. I shook off the thought, it was none of my concern what was happening to him.

I excitedly finished my hair and ran to the balcony to watch for Amanda. Shortly after, I could see our family car approaching in the distance. I hurried to the front door where I waited. My parents soon emerged and sighed once they saw how excited I was.

The door was then opened by the driver and Amanda walked in with wide eyes. She stepped in cautiously and was looking around the entrance hall in awe.

"Amanda!" I said. She looked over at me in confusion.

"I'm sorry, are you Lexi's sister? I didn't kn-" she paused mid sentence and stared at me a moment. "What is happening right now?"

My eyes widened as I realized I had forgot to put on the suit and looked over at my parents. It seemed that they had forgotten too because they looked just as shocked. 

"Well for starters, I am Lexi.... but I will be explaining everything?" I said looking at my parents for confirmation. They both sighed and nodded. "Yup, I will be explaining everything so come on in."

After getting my parents and introducing them, my parents let me take her to my room to explain things.

"Okay, so you're Lexi, school Lexi is actually you in a fat suit, because you are the secret only child of the super rich and powerful Carter family, and you were only allowed to go to a school if you wore a disguise?" She asked while we sat on my bed. I shrugged and nodded.

"That sounds about right," I said. She looked at me in disbelief.

"All that, and people have the audacity to treat you like that at school!?" Amanda said, gradually getting louder out of frustration.

"Shhh, my parents don't know about that and I don't want them to find out either," I said. She covered her mouth and nodded.

"Still I can't believe it. I mean how is this all possible? If they ever found out, I bet everyone at school would panic to get on your good side," she said while whispering. I giggled and nodded.

"They definitely would. Why are they so hard on you in the first place? Wasn't everyone an asshole to you even before I started school?" I asked. Amanda's smile faded and she looked down at her hands.

"Yeah it's been like this for a while," she said sadly. I moved to sit next to her and pulled her to me for a hug.

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," I said.

"No it's okay, it's a pretty big part of my life and I'm mostly used to it now. Basically my dad's company was doing really well when I was younger, but then my mom ended up passing away. After that he made some pretty bad decisions that caused things to get rocky. Luckily he got it together before we were flat broke, but it was enough that I guess people at school know I don't have a solid foundation. You've seen how they act when someone is different."

"Yeah you're right," I said. "Don't worry, we will both make them swallow their words eventually."

"Are you sure it's okay for me to know? I mean this all seems very important," she asked seriously.

"I trust you." I reassured her. She smiled at me and nodded.