C I G A R E T T E S

- Mustang -

Why can't my dad just understand? I'm a Reject.

I lay on the roof of the Manor, a lit cigarette hanging from my mouth. The stars above me shone brightly, the whole sky alight with the dull shine of the moon. I squished the butt into the tiling of the roof and threw it. Climbing through one of the windows of the second floor I landed on the hardwood floors. Walking to the kitchen, I look through the cupboards for something to eat. I grab the peanut butter and the bread quickly making a sandwich. Grabbing some orange juice from the tiny fridge we have, I took off the lid and took a sip. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and winced when I pushed too hard on my jaw. It was still bruised from when my dad hit me. I sighed, it was dark and cold in the Manor but I didn't know where else to go. I couldn't go to Diesel's for obvious reasons, her dad would flip if he found a boy in her room, he probably wouldn't know because he doesn't really care about her but still. I don't wanna be that guy. I can't go to King's because his house isn't much better than mine. I don't know Richy well enough, and I doubt I could get in, and Yeehaw lives too far to walk in the dark. So this was where I slept, on a scrubby old mattress, on the top floor of a run-down house. As I lay there thinking about how disgusting the smell of the sheets was, and if I should ask Richy to wash them, a thud sounded from downstairs. I grabbed the closest thing to me which happened to be half of my peanut butter sandwich and slowly made my way towards the stairs. I slowly creep forward wielding my sandwich like a sword. The footsteps got closer and closer, coming up the steps. I quickly hid behind the wall, waiting to attack the intruder. The footsteps were right beside me. I jumped from my hiding spot and launched the sandwich towards the trespasser. The light switched on and there stood King, hand on the light switch, and half a peanut butter sandwich smeared down his face.

"What are you doing Mustang?" 

I was trying not to crack a smile, I didn't know if he was angry or not. He wiped my dinner off of his face and threw it back at me. 

"You're such an idiot. Who else comes in here you doofus?"

I slowly realised that we are the only people that come to the Manor, everyone else steers clear.

"I thought you were a hobo, man" 

King just shook his head and sighed.

"I might as well be, wouldn't have to deal with the old lady"

I nodded we stood in silence for a moment before he wandered over to his bed and flopped himself down. I laid back down and soon, I was out like a light. 

_____________________

A body jumps onto my torso, pulling me from my deep sleep. 

"Mornin' sunshine"

I look up and see Diesel smiling down at me. I laugh and push her off. She tumbles to the floor and pouts. Yeehaw walks in and gestures toward me.

"You better get your ass outta that cot before we're late"

His accent always amuses me, it's like he got pulled out of an old-time western movie. Pulling me out of bed Diesel puts a sandwich in my hand.

"Breakky or lunch, I don't care so long as you eat it today"

Diesel was very caring towards me, I don't know why, but she was. I throw the sandwich into my backpack and pull a cigarette from my pocket. Lighting the cancer stick, I took a deep inhale. Richy gave me the look he always does when I smoke. 

"You wanna try?" I hold the lit stick in my fingers.

He shakes his head. 

"I hate those things, you know that" 

"Where's King?" Yeehaw pipes up.

Everyone looks at me. I look around the room, his bed was made and there was no trace of him.

"I thought you guys would have seen him on your way in, I mean he did stay the night"

"We went around to the old bat's place and he wasn't there" Diesel took my cigarette and stood on it.

I lit another one and put it between my lips. 

"Well he 'ain't here, where'd he be?" 

Diesel took the new cigarette and put it out again. 

"If you do that again, I'll throw you out that window you- what are you doing?"

Diesel walked over to the window and peered out.

"Checking how high the drop is, see if it's worth it"

"Ok this is not happening, let's just go to school" Richy pulled her away from the glass pane. 

Making our way downstairs we headed off to school.

_____________________

Walking towards my locker someone hooked their foot right under Richy's.  We all turned around to see Taylor snickering with his little friends. Diesel stepped out from behind me and they all took a step back. I don't know what happened yesterday but they all seemed scared of my best friend. Yeehaw tried to help Richy off the floor. Jack stepped in front of him and pushed him back.

"What're you doing cowboy? I didn't say you could help him up"

Yeehaw stood there, tossing up whether or not to hit the shorter boy.

"Leave him alone Jack"

Taylor stepped toward me.

"You weren't at Sanchez' yesterday, where'd you get that bruise? The old man get ya?" He put his hand on my cheek and started making baby noises. 

I quickly slapped his hand away. Diesel pushed him back into the lockers.

"Didn't know you were into that Wilde, but I'm down" That sparked something in me, I don't know what it was but I was gonna use it. 

I hooked Taylor right on the jaw, he fell back in pain. 

"Come on you guys cut it out" Brandon spoke for the first time since I had known him.

Taylor just pushed him back.

"Don't tell me what to do you idiot"

I grabbed him and pushed him to the ground. Straddling his waist I struck punch after punch. A strong pair of arms pulled me off the groaning boy. As I was being escorted to the principles office I looked behind me and there stood King, who looked embarrassed and ashamed. I looked next to him and saw Cooper, the both of them sharing a look, a look like they had known each other their entire lives and instead of coming to help his friends up from the ground. He turned his back and walked off, pulling Cooper with him. 

The traitor.

A/N: Just wanted to get a chapter out before I go away. I might not update in a couple of days bc I'm going on a holiday. I don't know why but I found it so much harder writing for Mustang than the others so this was the result. Vote and comment <3.