S A D F E E L S

- Mustang -

"He went to hit me"

His fork dropped onto his plate. His chair scraped across the ground. His napkin fell to the table. And before I knew it he was out the door.

I sprinted out of the door from the '60's themed diner and down the street, heading straight to the Wildes' garage. My feet pounded the concrete. It started to rain, the water droplets running down my hair. 

"Hey, you forgot to pay!"

I pushed myself to go faster. A hand enclosed around my wrist. I whipped around with an arm raised, ready to punch whoever was following me. I had assumed it was a waiter trying to get me to pay for my gigantic feast. Diesel flinched, and I hurried to lower my arm.

"D I am so sorry, I didn't know it was you"

She slowly recovered and pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and breathed in the familiar scent of her hair. Cinnamon and car oil. 

"I'm ok Mustang, I'm ok"

She kept mumbling it into my shirt, I realised she wasn't talking about what had happened moments ago. She didn't want me to be angry at her dad, she didn't want me to do anything reckless. I just nodded against her head. She looked up at me and smiled, the both of us were soaking wet by now and completely freezing. I grabbed her hand and tugged her down the street. She cuddled into my side for warmth, instinctively I put my arm across her shoulders and pulled her into my side. We made our way down the dark streets of our town, the streetlights providing the only light. As we got to a familiar turn, Diesel started to slow down.

"Mustang", she whispered. "What are we doing here?"

It was like she was afraid to talk too loud. I sighed.

"You're soaking wet and freezing, so am I, and we need clothes. Dry clothes. So that's what we're doing"

I could feel her stiffen under my arm, she walked almost robotically. Her blonde hair sits across her shoulder, looking angel-like under the glint of the streetlights. We reach a small brick house at the end of the street. It was one-storey and looked like no one had lived here for years, even though someone had. Me. Weeds climbed through the cracks in the walls. A car lay in the drive, rusting, with a big dent in the side, and the front bumper was sat up against the right side. The two of us crept around the left side of the house, and slowly we made our way to a window. I slid it open and helped Diesel inside. I dropped in after her and flipped on the lamp on the bedside table. Warm golden light flooded the room, giving the short blonde, shivering girl a golden glow. She almost looked like a goddess in the honey shine, her bright brown eyes like melted amber, the blue material of my hoodie was a perfect contrast with the shining yellow light. I looked around my room, it was just as I had left it nearly three days ago. Messy. My bed was left unmade next to the window, my wardrobe facing the bed with a chest of drawers next to it. The door sat opposite the window, an electric guitar was stood on a stand beside the door. Posters were hung on the walls, all my favourite bands and guitarists. Diesel shivered again and I snapped out of my reverie. I grabbed an old pair of my sweats and her second favourite hoodie out of my wardrobe, handing her the clothes I let her get changed while I stared at the wall. She tapped me on the shoulder to let me know she was done and I went to get my clothes to get changed. I heard shuffling, grunting and then a loud huff. Once I pulled the warm material of my grey hoodie over my head I turned to see my best friend snuggled into my bed covers. I sat down next to her and she pulled my hand into hers. 

"Do you wanna sleep at the Manor tonight?"

She shook her head. I thought she just wanted to sleep here, but she was up and out the window before I could even think. I followed after her, she just took my hand and we were off. 

_____________________

An hour later we were laying on the grass in the park, laughing because Diesel had just spilled ice cream all down her shirt. We keeled around wheezing, when I felt myself rolling I swiftly grabbed hold of the blonde next to me and we both went tumbling. Rolling over and over until we hit the bottom of the hill. I lay on top of Diesel trying to catch my breath, the both of us just staring at each other. I stared, and she stared back. And then we both doubled over with laughter, she pushed me off and we lay staring at the stars. 

_____________________

I sprinted around the corner, Diesel in tow, as we tried to outrun the security officer that had just busted us at the public pool. With it being too late in the year for swimming they had emptied the pools, Diesel and I had spent the past half hour running in and out of each pool. Chasing each other, sliding down the walls, and even pretending to be lifeguards. The patrol officer had shown up and completely ruined the mood. I wheeled into an alley and pulled Diesel close to me. The officer ran straight past and we counted to thirty before we let out a breath. A little snort came from in front of me and soon enough Diesel was bent over laughing. I smiled, knowing I had taken her mind off her dad, even if it was just for a few hours. 

_____________________

We had finally stopped. Perched on the roof of the mansion we watched the sunrise, it was breathtaking. The dark blue sky was dotted with orange. The swirls of pink and yellow danced through the sky, making it look like a painting.  The only difference was that not a single artist could convey the euphoric feeling I felt just sitting here. At this moment I didn't need a cigarette, I didn't need to be in a fight, all I needed was the sun and my best friend.  

"Mustang?"

"Mm?"

"I'm glad you're my best friend"

A/N: Omg thanks for 100 reads<3 It means a lot. I tried to capture Diesel and Mustang's friendship in this chapter, and I hope I did ok. I'm super sorry for not updating, school just started up again and it's hectic. I'm going to try hard to keep updating and keep this story going. Thanks again <3