CHAPTER TWO, report card

Report cards

Report cards. Something every kid either dreads or are excited to see. Millie usually gets good grades in school, so she was never worried for her dad to see hers. Her best friend, Max, on the other hand, she was worried about him with his report cards. He didn't do that well in most classes even with Millie's help. Every time she tried helping him study, he would end up distracting her and then they would be playing video games or basketball and studying would be forgotten. 

Max had a plan to change his grades before his report card would get out and just like any other plan of his Millie thought it was stupid. She knew this would eventually blow up in his face and she was right.

"Mills, now I have to be in this stupid advanced math class." Max complained to Millie on facetime. He was sitting on his bed, holding his phone that he was using to facetime her.

Millie was sitting on her bed with her back against the headboard and her laptop was on her laptop since she was using her laptop to facetime Max. She chuckles and shakes her head. "Well, maybe this will teach you not to change your grades." She pouts, crossing her arms. "And hey, I'm in that stupid advanced math class."

Max sheepishly smiles. "Sorry. But at least this'll give us another excuse to hang out more."

Millie smiles and nods in agreement. "Exactly. Just think of the good things about being in this class. I think you could actually be really good in it if you put in the effort."

Just hearing the fact that Millie believes in him encouraged him to prove to her, and of course, Phoebe, that he could make it in this advanced math class. Max smiles widely at her. "Thanks, Mills."

****

The next day Millie is in her advanced math class, cheering on Phoebe with the rest of the class. Phoebe was solving a math problem within a few seconds, trying to be the highest record that in was in the class. Class had started a few minutes ago and Max still wasn't in the class which made her wonder where he was.

"Done!" Phoebe stopped writing and turned to face the class.

"And a new record!" Evan exclaimed as he looked at the stop watch he held and everyone cheered for Phoebe who smiled.

"Phoebe," Sarah speaks up. "You're awesome." She smiles. "I really hope we're on the same Math Bowl team." She chuckles. "I'm great at quadratic equations," She takes off her glasses dramatically, looking at Evan with an annoyed expression. "Unlike some people."

"That was one time!" Evan defends himself. He pouts and crosses his arms. "And it was a heavy pollen day."

Millie presses her lips together and pats his shoulder to comfort him. "Yeah, okay, blame it on the pollen."

"Alright, class." Everyone takes their seats when their teacher, Mr. Pines, walks in. "Ah, very exciting news." Mr. Pines stands in front of his desk, facing everyone with a smile. "I have finally chosen our two Math Bowl team captains." He gestures to Phoebe. "And the first team captain is Phoebe Thunderman."