CHAPTER TWELVE, pretty little choirs

"I can't believe I have to follow her

"I can't believe I have to follow her." Phoebe worriedly said to Cherry and Millie in choir. Veronica was currently singing and despite the fact she had a great singing voice, Millie hated her. Veronica was your typical mean girl who thought she was better than everyone else. 

"If it helps, you're much better than that Barbie doll." Millie reassured her. She thought the nickname fit Veronica well since she was blonde and wore a pink outfit. 

Phoebe smiles a bit. "Thanks."

Everyone applauds Veronica after she finished her song. Millie exchange a confused look with Cherry when Phoebe clapped loudly. Phoebe stops clapping quickly after realizing what she was doing. She sighs, glancing at her friends with a nervous look. "I clap loud when I'm nervous."

"Don't worry. This is just practice." Cherry reassures her. "Actual solo auditions aren't until Friday."

"Yeah," Millie nods in agreement. "You'll have plenty of time to prepare before actual solo auditions." 

"I don't know, guys; she's a senior, and she comes from a long line of professional choir singers." Phoebe explained.

"And you...Stood in a long line this morning for a muffin." Cherry sheepishly smiles. "So there's that."

"Phoebe Thunderman, you're up." The music teacher called out. 

Millie smiles encouragingly at Phoebe. "You got this, Pheebs."

Phoebe sends her a small smile. She sighs before she stands up and walks to the music stand in the middle of the room. She smiles nervously at everyone before she begins. "We're so close now it's easy to see. Just take my hand and follow me. Together we will be, oh-" She started choking when a spitball flew into her mouth. Millie's eyes widened and she exchanged a worried look with Cherry. Then the two girls looked around the room in search of the person who threw the spitball at Phoebe.

Phoebe coughs out the spitball, furrowing her eyebrow. "A spitball?" 

"Not bad, Phoebe. But you need to work on your...Not choking." The music teacher commented. The school bell then rang and everyone got up to leave the classroom.

Cherry grabs Phoebe's backpack for her as she and Millie meet up with Phoebe before they walk out to the hallway. Phoebe holds out the spitball, showing her friends. "Look at this!" She scoffs. "Who would shoot a spitball at me?"

"I would say your brother, but he's not in choir." Millie chuckled.

"I would." Veronica responded, standing by the trio with a smug look on her face as she held up the straw she used. 

Millie glares at her. "Of course you would."

"Veronica? Why?" Phoebe frowns. "We're...Sisters in song."

"I own the solo spot, newb," Veronica sassily said. "And I'll stop at nothing to keep it. Choke on," Instead of saying the next word she sings it. "...That."