2- Help Wanted

The next morning, rock music and the smell of pancakes woke me up. I sat up, remembering where I was and silently blessing her once again.

I stood, stretching and leaving the room. I found Em in the kitchen, swaying to the music and flipping pancakes. She was as full of energy and spirit as I remembered. She looked up and grinned, pressing a button to turn the music down a little.

"Ayyy, if it isn't the slut that broke into my house last night!"

I rolled my eyes.

"Wow, if it isn't the slut who didn't have anything good to steal. Broke in for nothing!"

We both laughed and she held out a plate of pancakes to me. I thanked her and doused them in syrup, then dug in. She leaned against the counter in front of me as she did the same with her own plate. Silence hung in the air for a few moments before I finally looked up at her.

"Um, Em? Thank you..."

"Dude, it's just Bisquick. I didn't-"

"No that's not what I meant!" I snorted "I meant...thank you for taking me in"

She set her plate down, suddenly serious for once.

"(Y/n), you've been my ride or die since diapers. There's no way I'd leave you living in your car. I'm happy you called me...even if you did ruin my wet dream about Katie from the gas station..."

"You still haven't pulled the trigger on that?! Em, it's been a YEAR!"

She chuckled softly, looking away.

"I...don't even know if she likes girls. Much less...girls who weren't always girls"

Suddenly, her trans flag t-shirt was very loud. She crossed her arms over it, no longer interested in her food. I sighed and stood up, coming around to her side of the counter and leaning my head on her shoulder.

"Okay...so you don't know if Katie is into girls. But if she is, there's no way she wouldn't like you. You're gorgeous, Emily. And you're, like, the coolest person I know"

I spotted the corner of her mouth starting to curl up into a smirk, and I poked her in the ribs.

"Hey, c'mon, I'm trying to give you a boost here!"

She held her hands up and laughed.

"I know! I know...it's just, you've always known exactly what to say"

I grabbed her shoulders and looked her in the eyes, like I was about to say something else profound. But instead...

"I am going to eat those pancakes if you don't"

She laughed again, picking up the plate.

(Later...)

I started the job hunt immediately, not wanting to burden Emily.

As I scrolled through pages of 'Help Wanted' ads, the same one kept popping up, as if the company was so desperate, they had posted it hundreds of times. Eventually, I stopped to read it.

'HELP URGENTLY WANTED: custodian for Freddy Fazbear's Mega Pizzaplex. $10/hour.'

I thought about that. I loved the pizzeria locations as a child, plus it specified below that I wouldn't be cleaning up kid puke or anything. Just staff rooms and...'rockstar row'? Well, either way, it seemed totally doable. I clicked apply and began to fill out my info.