Chapter 1: Encounter

After school, Shu walked to his next doctor's appointment to get his right shoulder checked. Despite being injured, Shu didn't listen to his doctor and kept training for the finals that were coming up.

As Shu went inside the building, he approached the receptionist behind the counter. After checking in, he sat in the waiting room and brought out Spriggan, from his pocket, and stared at it, for the meantime, while thinking about new strategies.

He kept wincing as his shoulder was irritating him. On time, the doctor's assistant called Shu in. At the same time, Shu didn't want to go when he had important stuff that he should've been doing right now. Sighing, he stood up and followed the assistant to his room.

As they were walking, the assistant asked Shu, "Kurenai, is it alright if you share a room with another patient. There's no vacant rooms left and she's not contagious." She informs.

"I don't mind." Shu simply answers stoically.

The woman smiles as they arrive in front of the room. Small coughing noises could be heard inside. The assistant opened the door for Shu as he walked in first.

'I hate this. Stupid appointment. This is so stupid-'

As soon as Shu walked in, he saw a girl, almost his age, sitting on her assigned bed, next to the large window. She has [hair length] [hair color] with a small cherry blossom petal hairpin clipped on the side of her head and her height was probably three or four inches shorter than Shu. The girl's flowery pink eyes shined when she saw the two walking in.

She had a IV tubes connecting to her arms and had a heart monitor device, sitting on her lap. Shu only stared back at her in wonder.

The girl in a pink hospital gown, covered her mouth with the palm of her hand, "Koff koff." When she was done coughing, she looked back up at the two.

"Oh no, are you alright?" The assistant asked, worried. "I can go get my doctor for you."

"No need, I...I'm fine." The girl responded softly, with a gentle smile.

The assistant sighed out, "If you say so."

She turned back to Shu. "Kurenai, you can sit on this bed." She pointed at the bed, which was two beds away from the young girl. "I'll call your doctor in a minute." With that, she left the room.

When she left, it was quiet between the two patients. Shu sat on the end of the bed while the girl continued coughing.

"K-Koff, koff."

Shu patiently stayed quiet, waiting. He didn't mind if she was coughing. He just wanted to get done with his check up and leave as soon as possible to start training.

A minute became five minutes as the girl constantly kept coughing while covering her mouth. She fully turned away from Shu, facing the window next to her. While Shu was thinking about getting a doctor for her.

"I..I'm sorry for coughing so much."

Shu faced the gentle-spoken girl, who was still facing outside.

"That's fine, I don't mind." He replied.

"Really? But-"

"You can drop it. People who are ill don't have to apologize for being sick."

"Oh, a-alright."

Another ten minute awkwardly past. The patient tried to set up a conversation with Shu.

"So, uh, wh-what's your name?" The girl asked, continued to stare out the window.