Chapter 3

"Sir!"
           Grant Ward turned to face the soldiers in the doorway. A man a little younger than him and almost his height was smirking at him from between them. "He was causing a ruckus in St Louis. He says he wants to meet with you."
           Ward nodded at him, "Go ahead."
           "My name is Chris. I'm an Inhuman. Heard you were rebuilding Hydra and I want in,"
           Ward narrowed his eyes at Chris, "Why?"
           "I got taken in by SHIELD. They put me through their ridiculous indexing system. I heard when I was there though that you want to take them down, and when I escaped came right to you,"
           Ward nodded his understanding, then asked, "What is your gift?"
           "Telekinesis,"
           "Show me,"
           "Of course,"
           Chris raised his hand, but Ward interrupted, "Actually, I have something else in mind. If you would follow me."
           He led Chris down the hall to a reinforced metal door. Clasping his hands behind his back, Ward nodded to the guards, who unlocked the door and dragged it open. He gestured for Chris to step inside before him and watched his reaction carefully as the other man's eyes adjusted to the dim lighting. His face registered only confusion.
           In the center of the small concrete room, a man sat tied to a chair, bloodied and soaked in sweat, a handkerchief around his mouth. Ward pulled it from his mouth and let it hang around his neck.
           "This is Ivan Grigorovich," Ward explained. Ivan began to tremble. "He was a weapons dealer who provided guns to terrorists and hate groups across multiple countries. He did however provide weapons to many Hydra forces, until he ratted us out to SHIELD in exchange for his pathetic life. Helped bring about our downfall."
           "What does that have to do with me?" Chris snapped.
           Ward stepped back, "I want you to kill him. With your gift. And none of that neck-snapping business. I want to see him suffer."
            Chris' gaze hung on Ward's face for a few long seconds, until he turned his attention to Grigorovich. In the silence, Ward could hear him take in a long breath. "P—Please," Grigorovich pleaded, his lips shaking, a drop of saliva dripping from them.
            Giyera had come to stand beside Ward, "It's impossible, sir. Another telekinetic Inhuman. We are—"
            "Silence. We shall see if it's impossible. Go on, Chris,"

             Back at base, all eyes were on Chris' feed. "Coulson, what are your orders?" May asked.
             Coulson's face betrayed no emotion, "I want to see what he does."
             "He wouldn't," Wyatt said, but his voice shook, "He would never...We don't..."

             "He can't do it," Giyera said, breaking the silence, "What are you waiting for?"
              Ward turned to the Inhuman, "Giving him his fair chance."
              "He's had his chance. Either he's lying or he's too weak. Cowardly. Spineless."
              "Giyera—"
              "Sir!" one of the guards at the door cried, horrified. Grigorovich gave a strangled cry at that moment. Ward and Giyera turned their attention back to the man. His face had blanched. Blood streamed from his eyes. His mouth hung open, but no more sound came out, except a faint gurgling. Chris had his eyes locked on him, one fist clenched.
                Grigorovich slumped forward in his chair, motionless.
                Chris turned to Ward, a sick smile spreading on his face, "Hail Hydra."

                "Wyatt!"
                "What the hell were you thinking?!"
                 Chris has snuck away from Ward long enough to orb back to base and report, only for Wyatt to throw him against the wall and pin him with his forearm. Chris orbed out, causing Wyatt to slam into the wall. He rematerialized behind Wyatt, "I had to keep my cover."
                 "At the expense of an innocent life?!"
                 "He wasn't innocent, Wyatt. He was a weapons dealer,"
                 "A crime not punishable by death!" Simmons cried.
                 May chimed in, "Grigorovich was a dirtbag and he was the reason behind countless deaths even if he wasn't directly involved. It's worth Chris' cover and taking down Hydra."
                 "Thank you, May," Chris said.
                 "It's not Mays opinion you should be worried about," Simmons said, "It's—"
                 "Director Coulson," Daisy breathed as the man appeared on the staircase. The room fell to expectant silence, but Coulson just nodded to Chris, "Status report."
                 "Ward showed me around the base. I don't know the coordinates yet. They dropped me off where they found me with a bag over my head. I think he believes me though,"
                 "Good work," Coulson circled around the group of stunned people towards the door.
                 "So you're okay with this?" Wyatt asked.
                 "It's not what I would have done, but I left the decision up to Chris, to see the type of agent he is," Coulson nodded to Chris, "Dismissed, Halliwell."
                 Chris smiled, broadly, "Thank you, sir."
                 He turned the smile to Wyatt before orbing out.