> seven

When Luke poofed back into the garage, he saw Julie sitting behind her piano, playing along with Alex's drums and singing part of the second verse

When Luke poofed back into the garage, he saw Julie sitting behind her piano, playing along with Alex's drums and singing part of the second verse. "Whoa, Julie."

    "Grab your guitar. We got work to do," she said.

    After a quiet conversation ending with a wishing of happy birthday, Luke turned to Alex. "So, where's Reggie then?"

    "Out getting a friend," he smiled slyly.

    He appeared just on time then, walking through the garage doors dramatically. "I have returned with a killer rhythm guitarist!"

    "Oh no. She's not in here yet, is she? I can't see her," Julie said.

    "No, no. Reggie's too dramatic for that," Luke sighed, taking a seat for the show.

    "And! Before I introduce the lovely Josephine Newton," Reggie said, "I have some stipulations. First, they have not yet agreed to join the band. This is a no strings attached practice to see how things go. Second, they use she/they pronouns and I got explicit permission to tell you all that. Third, Jo is gorgeous, so Julie, prepare to be amazed."

    "If you think you've seen the extent of Reggie's flirting, just you wait," Alex warned.

    Julie laughed lightly and turned towards the doors. "Alright, then, where is the infamous Jo Newton?"

    Reggie popped his head out the door and grabbed her hand, pulling her into the space. "I feel like I should make it known that I heard that entire conversation," Jo said, then turning to Julie.

    The curly-haired girl stood as a smile broke out on her face. "I can see you."

    "It's nice to meet you," Jo said with a light laugh.

    "Awe! I wish you guys could hug!" Alex interrupted.

    "Alright, enough with the sappy stuff," Luke said. "Are we gonna play or what? Jo, can you sight-read?"

    "Course," she said, swinging her guitar around her body and looking over Reggie's shoulder to the song sheet. Luke's messy scrawls mixed with Julie's neat script across the page.

    "Jo, I love your guitar," Julie gushed, tempted to reach out and run her hand along the stickers.

    "Thank you. It was one of the few things I kept coming into the afterlife. Or was able to keep, I should say. Caleb always tried giving me a shit ton of new guitars, all the colors of the rainbow, but I always came back to my trusty friend here."