> ten

That day, Flynn, Julie, and her family spent hours revamping the backyard for the party that night

That day, Flynn, Julie, and her family spent hours revamping the backyard for the party that night. Just before they were supposed to go on, her father finished setting up the camera and Flynn introduced them as Julie walked out of the garage doors.

    Just then, Jo ran out of the bathroom at the back in a short, checkered, green dress. She was still fluffing her purple curls. "Sorry I took so long. I'm ready, I swear."

    "Holy shit, Jo. Thought we'd have to go on without you," Luke laughed.

    Jo swatted his arm and continued fluffing her hair until Reggie stepped up beside her, eyes wide as he exhaled slowly, looking her up and down. "What's up?" she asked.

    Reggie slapped his chest like something had shot him. "Got me right here, Jo... You look..." He softly set his hand on her waist.

    "Thanks, Reg," she said quietly with a small smile. "You don't look so bad yourself. But I think we've got a show to do if I'm not mistaken."

    He nodded, but his eyes stayed on her even as she tossed her guitar strap over her shoulder and Julie played the opening notes of the song. Reggie exhaled anxiously as Luke patted his shoulder.

    "Running from the past. Tripping on the now. What is lost can be found, it's obvious," Julie sang, garnering a few appreciative whoops from the crowd. "And like a rubber ball, we come bouncing back. We all got a second act inside of us."

    The drums kicked in and the four ghosts appeared behind her, surprising the crowd every time. "I believe! I believe that we're just one dream! Away from who we're meant to be. That we're standing on the edge of-

    "Something big, something crazy, our best is yet unknown! That this moment is ours to own! 'Cause we're standing on the edge of great!"

    Jo stepped up to her microphone and echoed the lyrics just like she and Luke had talked about. "Cause we're standing on the edge of... great!" Julie concluded.

    Luke picked up with the second verse, trying to catch Julie's eye so they could sing together like they always did, but she seemed to be avoiding him. The chorus came around again and Jo and Reggie echoed along with her.

    On the final pre-chorus, Julie was sitting up on the edge of the piano and Luke stepped up with an improvised guitar solo so Julie would finally look at him in the way he always secretly looked forward to.

    "Great, on the edge of great," the rest of the band repeated as Julie sang through the last chorus. While Reggie, Jo, and Alex disappeared behind her, Luke took matters into his own hands and sat on the piano bench beside Julie, softly singing out the last lines with her.

    Julie stood up and appreciated the applause from the crowd. Reggie threw his guitar to the side and came up beside Jo, looking particularly excited about the outcome of the night. Jo rolled her eyes and rotated her guitar to her back so he could wrap her up in a hug. She squealed as he spun her around.