5 | Past The Walls

It was around sunrise when Skylor opened her eyes–pulling herself away from a good nap–as the truck came to a stop around the edge of the city. As she rubbed her eyes and let out a yawn, she noticed that most of the truck's passengers were asleep too–some laid on each other while the others leaned on their bags–probably tired from all the crying they did.

"Good morning, sunshine." A familiar voice called from her left, and she immediately knew who it was.

"Where are we, Ash?" She let out another yawn, not having the time to process her surroundings yet. They had a great conversation last night and Skylor couldn't help but feel excited for what awaited her at the camps.

"At the edge of Ninjago City."

That seemed to get the girl's attention. Skylor perked up from her slouched position and looked out the window to see them right beside the walls. There was a long line of trucks behind them and in front of them, all waiting as the guards at gates finished the inspection.

"How many are in there?" She heard one of the guards ask, their voice rough and husky.

"25, sir." Someone replied.

"Make sure they really are who they say they are."

She couldn't see what was happening from the front–the windows were blocked and she couldn't stick her head out–so Skylor waited for their turn. As the trucks moved, Skylor was practically face to face with the walls she only ever saw from afar. 

They were taller than she expected now that she was up close, and thicker too. The cement that made it up was covered up by a dark shade of grey paint.

Probably why no one is allowed outside.

Two new soldiers marched up at the end of their truck, looking for something she couldn't understand. Both were wearing the same uniform Ash had on but unlike her new friend, these guys seemed much older and stronger–Skylor could swear one of them had a tattoo–but when one of them yanked a kid from their sleep, harshly tugging at his arm, she had to resist the urge to stop them.

"Get him away from here."

The soldiers dragged the boy from a good distance–making Skylor wonder what was happening–her questions were answered when a deep, ear-piercing scream echoed across the city.

Turns out it wasn't just her that heard it.

"What was that?"

The other teenagers with her began raising questions after being woken up by the sound, but she didn't say anything.

They...killed him.

She shook her head to stop the thought from bringing up different ideas in her mind. "Excuse me, but what did you do to that boy?" She tugged at the shirt of the soldier who was standing in front of her, inspecting everyone else.

The soldier turned around, his eyebrow raised at her. "It wasn't a boy. It was an Oni." He had an accent which made his words a little hard to understand.

Skylor slowly retracted her hand and sat there dumbfounded. Her mouth slightly opened as she took in the information. "H-how did you know?"

"I've seen many Oni in my time," The soldier answered, checking another teenager. "Those demons can look like anybody. But when they are asleep, their real form starts showing from different parts of their body."

"Shapeshifters." Skylor muttered.

"Nasty ones, I tell you. You be careful out there, kid." The man made his way to the end of the truck as he spoke. "It's a mad world we live in."